Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an ornithologist in the house?

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Is there an ornithologist in the house?

This morning we spotted, what looks to us untrained oldies like a young or female blackbird. It was sitting motionlessly on our lawn, looking toward a hedge. All through coffee in the back garden it was there and some time afterwards. Later it had moved a bit, but its actions were much the same. Wife put out some water, which it ignored, but she told me that she'd got it to take some by wetting its beak.

Just now we were having our afternoon cup. It was still there, but became active, hopping around, sometimes confusedly (it seemed), until there was a short moment of wing flapping (trying to fly?) then stillness once more.

It has moved since, but I'd think only on the ground. I feel sorry for it, but haven't the faintest, if we should, or what should be done for it, if anything. What do you guys think has happened, and what's your thought on what next?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Is there an ornithologist in the house?

Find out if there is a local "bird rescue" or "bird hospital"... near to you... and hopefully , they will send someone round to deal with it...  may be a problem as it`s the weekend... so see if you have a very large cardboard box you can keep it safe in, overnight/weekend... out of harms reach of cats or rats.

If you can find some meal worms ( fishing bait/ real worms.)  you could put some of them in the box with the bird, in the hope that it will "self feed".

Luzern
All Star

No sign of it now. Wife looked out for it after evening meal. Miracle or meal for another creature, I guess.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mostly likely its parent came back and rescued it. Generally the best thing to do in these cases is to leave the fledgling alone and undisturbed for a few hours. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
All Star

@AlaricAdair I'm trying to imagine the rescue technique of the parent birds. Seriously!