cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a pretty route?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Is there a pretty route?

We have the time, and the means of travel, and don`t particularly want to go via the "fastest" route.   Yeah, I know my local area, pretty well, and can get about, generally, without using a map at every road junction...  but wouldn`t it be nice, to be able to go to ( say ) google maps... or bing maps... or your sat nav and put in a place name as destination and then have a choice of routes... 

1. fastest route

2. most economical route

3. shortest  route

4. the pretty route.

anyone good at programming or making an "app" to do this, I am sure would be worth a few shekels...  

11 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: Is there a pretty route?

Maybe Robert Jones had that option!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Scenic is another name for pretty route I guess.

Satnavs.distance.web.jpg

Alternatively if you have a descent Sat Nav add 'Way Points' and create your own route. You choose which areas of interest to pass through along the way, much more fun and at least you won't get lost.

JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In pre-satnav days 'I've decided to go via the scenic route' was always my favourite euphemism for 'I've got a funny feeling we're lost!' Cheesy

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Pre-satnav days? You should try going on a trip with me sometime! I get lost all the time Grin

Community Veteran

Getting lost is sometimes the best way to find beautiful hidden treasures

JayG
Aspiring Pro

A pal of mine would never admit to being lost - at the merest suggestion of it he'd say 'We're not lost - I'm just not 100% sure of our exact location at this precise moment in time.' Roll eyes

Community Veteran

I'm convinced my satnav takes revenge if I fail to follow its "guidance".  Having to travel by the scenic route is the penalty for minor offences.  Repeated offences will see me treated to un-metalled roads, toll roads and heavy congestion.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@MKSlinky  Yes... scenic route is my euphemism for taking a wrong turn 5 miles back !... 

Is that "gen" sat nav pic?  if so,.. which one offers the "scenic route" ? 

I have a Garmin satnav.. that I only use when I`m going somewhere I don`t know well...

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

JayG wrote:

A pal of mine would never admit to being lost - at the merest suggestion of it he'd say 'We're not lost - I'm just not 100% sure of our exact location at this precise moment in time.' Roll eyes

My friend had a similar quip, .".not lost, just don't know where I am". Riposte was, "To make it simple for you, you're sitting in the driver's seat".

"I know where I am, I've been lost here before.", what's that sa y of @Minivanman's

navigator's prowess?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 125

Sat Nav - bahhh

Prefer to look up my route on a map before I leave then rely on my excellent sense of direction and my nose - rarely let me downWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

The only issue I can see in having pretty route option is if you are travelling from say Peckham to Paddington it might take you via the Pembrokeshire coastline.

But as I've always said, "I know where I am........Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.