Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a plumber in the house?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Is there a plumber in the house?

I know most here are more into electro gadget info and the like, but is there a plumber in the house?

I've been thinking our buying a new heater for our small bathroom and have come across the Dimplex 1.0KW Apollo Radiator Towel Rail which seems to fit the bill but what puzzles me is why, if it's electric (which it is) is it provided with inlet/outlet plumbing connections. 

Any ideas guys?

http://stcp6139-51.ashop.com.au/p/1004979/dimplex-apollo-apl100-1kw-electric-radiant-bathroom-radiat...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Re: Is there a plumber in the house?

Very probably because it is oil filled and can be topped up if needed although it says it is sealed so it may just be how they fill it in the first place

Just to add -  the bit about plumbing connections may be wrong - look here http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/kitchens_bathrooms/bathroom_radiators/apollo_rang...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Is it no so it can be used in the summer when the central heating is off?

PowerLee
Rising Star

The unit uses electricity to heat the oil that will provide the heating.

Double check its suitable for you before purchase - it looks like it requires wiring in to a seperate control unit / hooking up to other units as part of a heating system.
Minivanman
Hero

That wiring you mention is for a multiple use option from a central controller I guess rather than a single stand alone one. It would also need (and again I'm guessing) @PowerLee, a control cable running in situ with the mains? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
JayG
Aspiring Pro

It appears to be a 1kw flat panel heater with two towel rails in front of it - can't see any additional plumbing fitments.

There is a good choice of towel radiators available which are plumbed into the C/H system and also have built-in electric elements for towel-drying in the summer.

1kw is about 3,000 BTU per hour - not a lot unless your bathroom is very small (guess which I'd buy! Wink).

Minivanman
Hero

Well at less than six foot square @JayG yep, it's very small!

Cottages did not do large (if any) bathrooms Wink

Being such a small house we do not have central heating and our 3kw Jodel wood burner is more than enough to heat it up. Being terraced helps as each side keeps us warm as well but that bathroom is cold I have to say as the existing ladder type heated towel rail hardly gets warm - which is why it needs to be replaced.

PS. I don't see any plumbing fitments either, which is what puzzles me. Guess I'll have to check it out first. 

JayG
Aspiring Pro

Do you know the wattage of your existing electric towel rail? (just thinking that unless it's faulty, if it is also rated at around 1kw the new one may not solve your problem...)

Minivanman
Hero

No idea of the wattage @JayG but that apart it also seems to be rusting underneath those bars so.....

Having said it runs via a secondary mains isolator switch and I did wonder if that was acting as a half wave rectifier thus reducing its power consumption and therefore its heat output?  

Either way, I need to replace it. Sad

Minivanman
Hero

For those that followed this topic the said towel rail has arrived and it does not, repeat not have any plumbing connections. The mystery is, why does the blurb tell us it's provided?

'Provided with inlet/outlet plumbing connections – no expensive adaptors needed'

Ah well. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Might be worth sending them a email to ask that question, unless the instructions provided are in chinese, in which case that would answer your question.

Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Thumbs Up