cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a better beach than Woolacombe?

randpwar
Grafter

Is there a better beach than Woolacombe?

We (7 or 8 families from our local area) had our annual sojourn to Woolacombe last week and, as always, had a great time. I hereby vote this beach as the best for families I’ve ever been on. Miles of sand for younger kids to build sandcastles with a stream to get water to fill those important moats (even though the RNLI ask people not to allow children to play in the stream as they need to bring their vehicles onto the beach as their only point of access), as mentioned excellent RNLI life guards, great surfing / body boarding, sand dunes for the kids to body board down, beach huts to rent (costs us about a tenner per family for the week and easily take all the surfing / wet suits stuff and allows a ‘reference point’ for the kids to come back to), great pasties (Beef and Stilton is my favourite) and , of course, fish and chips are a short walk away in the village.
I can’t think of a better beach for families; where’s your favourite? 
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Is there a better beach than Woolacombe?

I prefer the other end of the bay and the next bay as the surf is larger.
randpwar
Grafter

&itsme  Is that Putsborough?
http://www.eyeballhq.tv/
Community Veteran

We used to go to Wollacomabe a lot when the kids were young, excellent place.
Others in the UK we liked:
1. Mawgan Porth
2. Aberporth
3. Oldshoremore & Sandwood Bay - not usually much good for kids & sandcastles though as they're near Cape Wrath.
In Greece: Voidokilia and Stoupa (both in the Peloponnese)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: randpwar
&itsme  Is that Putsborough?
http://www.eyeballhq.tv/

Yes, also the other bay is Croyde and then there's Saunton Sands. So depending on swell, wind direction and speed can select the best beach. Normally we go surf kayaking when we know the surf is up and normally end up at Putsborough as this is more sheltered. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

surpried HP didntt mention this beach

One of the most famous features of Morar are The Silver Sands, the other one being Camusdarach beach, one mile south of Morar on the old road to Arisaig. This beach was one of the locations for the Scottish movie Local Hero. Because of the movie, the beach is also known as Ben's beach. Another location for this movie was Pennan in the north east. As in the movie, Camusdarach beach is famous for its stunning sunsets and stunning views towards the Isle of Skye and the Isles of Muck, Eigg and Rum.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
surpried HP didntt mention this beach

You can't list them all.  Wink
I was walking there a couple of years ago (and Camusdarach with its campsite) but it's not a regular haunt.
And there's the "singing sands" of Eigg near Cleadale.
And Achanaird where the campsite has now gone.
And so on......