Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Doctor in the house?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Is there a Doctor in the house?

OK... here`s the background....
I am "generally fit"... I am now 66 yrs old.... I have never been keen on eating much fruit.... guess it is because I was deprived as a child.... (war baby)... I might manage two apples in a year. and possibly a banana.....  (any more than that, and I would have been over indulging )  Cheesy
This past few months, however, I have started to eat at least one pear, and a few grapes every day... and in so doing, one would assume, building up my vitamin C levels.
For the first time, in December, I decided to take advantage of the Cold and Flu jab, (mainly to convince my missus it was good for her)...
So ... Please , Doc,.... why have I got a runny nose, cough, sore throat, and sneezing. with a temperature, and muzzy head to go with it....  Cry
it would seem the jab was a public relations exercise by the government.... and all that about Vitamin C preventing colds is just a myth, or another old wives tale....
14 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Is there a Doctor in the house?

The jab immunised you against a few strains of  flu. The common cold is not the same as flu.
I won't comment on the effectiveness of Vitamin C but pears are pretty far down the list of plants containing Vitamin C (and grapes aren't much further up). Drinking Ribena or eating broccoli would increase your intake much more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C
Fruits and vegetables are not only recommended for their vitamin content.
nadger
Rising Star

The flu jabs don't guarantee that one won't get flu but hopefully they lessen the effect. I've had the jab for many years but still went down with flu about 7 Christmas ago.
I've also had the pneumonia jab as I think that's worthwhile.
Just had a sneezing session, whilst typing this, so hope nobody catches anything  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Pears and grapes may well be "low down" in the count of Vit C..... however, when you consider that I (hardly) ever ate any fruit.... (save as mentioned). then my Vit C intake must have been dramatic by comparison to before.... Undecided
Sneezing session included in this post.  Cheesy
Fixes: 47

Quote from: nadger
Just had a sneezing session, whilst typing this, so hope nobody catches anything  Roll eyes

I noticed so I turned the monitor away.
I've never had a flu jab although my daughter keeps insisting every year. I get sniffles every winter but take it as part of life.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It could be a seasonal allergy that you've got Undecided
Community Veteran

I’m not convinced taking vitamin C in any form prevents the common cold. The common cold (and flu) are both virus transmitted mainly via contact or 2nd hand contact (lift buttons, hand rails) with infected persons. Vitamin C is required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is necessary to form collagen, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. it is essential for the healing of wounds, and for the repair and maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth. It also enhances the immune system and prevents scurvy.
What Vitamin C will do is to probably make the effects of the cold/flu less severe. I eat a lot of fruit, and still catch colds.
I’ve found the best cure for common colds and flu is an ayurvedic treatment. It involves using a tablespoon of cold pressed sunflower oil as a mouthwash (before meals) for 4-5 minutes 3-4 times per day while the cold persists, THEN SPITTING OUT THE SUNFLOWER OIL. The concept is the cold and flu virus are attracted from the mouth throat and nose to the richness of the sunflower oil.
@nadger: agree with Artmo, seasonal allergy.............. Some years I'm affected by Oil-Seed-Rape pollen, other years I'm not, no reason that I can determine.
Community Veteran

I take a number of vitamin and mineral tablets every day and C is one of them.  Do they do me any good Undecided I really don't know Undecided
Community Veteran

So do I, ....................then I stopped taking them and convinced myself I was not 100% (well 75%) so I started again. Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Don`t think it is an allergy.... I don`t suffer from them at all... never have done... this is definitely a cold, which will probably last for about 3 days, and then get better on it`s own....  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only Vit C in a pear is in the skin, and the list that I am looking at doesnt mention any in grapes
the top 10 vit C in order are
  1. Avocado
  2. Papaya
  3. Guava
  4. Cantaloupe
  5. Orange
  6. Apricots (dried, unsulfured)
  7. Mango
  8. Strawberries (organic)
  9. Kiwi
  10. Grapefruit (pink or red)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

nadger
Rising Star

I was expecting it to be a blue wine  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
So do I, ....................then I stopped taking them and convinced myself I was not 100% (well 75%) so I started again. Roll eyes

I know what you mean Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not sure of any value of taking extra vitamins. Most of it goes down the toilet. Most people get sufficient for their needs from a normal diet.
One exception may be vitamin D, which is available free from sunlight. However, in northern latitudes in winter a little help may not be a bad idea.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.