cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the news depressing?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Is the news depressing?

Just watching (sort of) the beeb news. All about the sales, fine if you have the money, and how bad the depression is going to be next year. Arghh.  Undecided
Was anyone daft enough to go to the sales, if so did you buy anything interesting?
Me, I'm not going anywhere near the shops until next week, and then only for some fresh milk and maybe veg.  Huh
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is the news depressing?

I really think the Beeb and other media really do just like talking up the problem - they just seem to like publicing bad news
Community Veteran

You are absolutely correct.The media here now have learned from the Merckans how to whip the public into a fear frenzy with their "news". I don't normally watch the TV news anymore for that reason.
I believe the media has had a significant negative effect on the current situation.
Community Veteran

I was saying to SWMBO the other day, that it's the bankers and such like, who are talking this "depression" into a deeper hole. They are in a position to know when to buy and sell and make a right killing out of this situation. They've probably sold lots of stock that is now tumbling. Talk things down. Buy again when cheap. Talk things up, sell when up, make a good profit. After all they've got top make up for all the lost bonus they won't get paid.
I said this after that tw*t from Barclays said that house prices were going to go down 25%.
David_W
Rising Star

The news got so depressing many years ago, I stopped reading it and started to read The Sun.  Now if a news site publishes "The End Of The World Is Nigh!" - "Aliens spotted over Manchester!" - "George Bush re-elected, starts 2nd term", I suspend disbelief and read Hagar, its much more realistic  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"The only good news, is, bad news"  that`s what sells papers.......
Bad news stories are what journalists look for, because they know they can keep going back over it to get "details"  (We) the public (want) to know !
DO WE?.... How many times have we had a news story about a plane crash, and the smallest details of a perfectly "normal" routine flight come out and get exaggerated into non proportional sizes to give credence to the story, and to try to apportion blame, even if it comes down to a baggage handler..... YET.... how many news stories  with a "nice" storyline, appear as the main headline, then receive the next 7 days follow up on the details?..... You may get a story about how a small child saved it`s mothers life by dialling 999, but you will only see that as a headline on what is called a "slow news day".... no major disasters/plane/train crashes motorway pileups. etc...
Yes the news is depressing, and the sooner people realise it, and stop buying the newspapers that dish it out, the better...... it will only continue if we (the public) want it......
(I stopped buying newspapers years ago, when I realised that what I was reading was really "yesterdays history", and the radio and tv news stations were just repeating it the next day....)
Community Veteran

So right! Good news doesn't make it to the TV or newspapers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Buy a Daily Mail on my to work every morning, but only for the "questions and answers" column, the quick and "worlds hardest" crosswords and Quinton Letts "yesterday in parliament" column, who seems to have a better grip on politics than any in "the house" The rest of it...er! don't bother, if either of those columns were in the online edition (they're not) I wouldn't bother.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

While were naming the waste paper, my 93 year old Mum insist on having the Daily Express every day, turns to the Crossword page extracts it and dumps the rest, tried buying here a book of cross words but no hope.    When we go to see here I do a scan through the gutter, it takes me longer to look down the RSS  BBC News here than to read that lot of twaddle
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is even more depressing
Drinking only one pint of beer a day increases the risk of liver and bowel cancer by a fifth, a health expert warned yesterday. A large glass of wine or a couple of spirits can have the same damaging effect, she said.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5400711.ece
What isn't said is that increases the actual risk from about 5% to just 6% http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bowel/
Why screen for bowel cancer?
About one in 20 people in the UK will develop bowel cancer during their lifetime. It is the third most common cancer in the UK, and the second leading cause of cancer deaths, with over 16,000 people dying from it each year

This puts it into perspective - the most significant cause of bowel cancer is not dying earlier  Grin
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerandresearch/cancers/bowel/#risksandcauses
Risks and causes
The most important risk factors for bowel cancer are listed below.
Age - The risk of developing bowel cancer increases with age. Eight out of ten cases are diagnosed in people over 60.
Bodyweight - Being overweight or obese increases the risk of bowel cancer developing.
Physical activity - Being inactive increases the risk of bowel cancer. Doing at least half an hour of moderate exercise five times a week can help lower the likelihood of the disease developing.
Diet - A diet that is high in red or processed meat and fat, and low in fibre, fruit, vegetables and folate can increase the risk of bowel cancer.
Tobacco and alcohol - Smoking may increase the risk of bowel cancer, particularly in heavy drinkers. Alcohol consumption may increase risk, especially in those with low levels of folate in their diet.
Community Veteran

Reminds me when we were sat at lunch many years ago, my father read out an article from the Lancet about the LD50 test for butter and how it was bad for you as the rats died from cancer I think it was. What the article didn't mention was that the rats died in exactly the same way when stuffed with the same amount of margarine!
Oh well, better drink another glass of red wine to drown our sorrows.
Community Veteran

There's always something that isn't good for us.  Best thing is to ignore all the rumours and get on with life Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I vaguely remember (as I usually do  Undecided ) about 15 years ago (maybe more  Huh ) a report came out saying that Cornflakes were bad for you..... Have been eating toast for brekky ever since.... !
Community Veteran

Careful now, all that butter or margarine you may put on it and all that sugar in the marmalade or the jam if you use any Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember as a student (10 years ago), when I eat the dodgiest burger from a mobile burger van after coming out of a club.
And at the time, I seem to remember the BSE scare going around.
I was a bit concerned in the morning though Smiley