cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the forum dying?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is the forum dying?

I have noticed,as I expect those of you who read this will have too, that the forum seems to be in decline just lately. One of our most prolific (sometimes contentious) contributors has been absent.  I have found out that he has been banned.
This is an open letter to the moderators,asking them to reconsider this ban please.  I do not know the full reason behind the ban, but I do know that the banned person was often goaded into reacting on several posts - which then earned him a telling off by the moderators. Have these 'agitators' been dealt with similarly, or has TorpC been singled out for punishment?
Now, I understand that sometimes he can be a bit obtuse in his arguments, and when he has an opinion - he has an opinion! Surely we are all entitled to an opinion?  I personally have had disagreements with him, but I can respect his opinion and am mature enough to realise that I am not always right.
However, he can also be quite helpful ( he has helped me on several occasions with technical problems),and he is entitled to express an opinion. 
So I am asking the moderators to please reconsider this ban.
32 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Is the forum dying?

I had wondered where he had gone , but i dont see the need for a ban either .
unless a mod has taken offense personally .
as this is a open forum as such is open to ALL  Views from all PN customers whether a form Mod likes him or not  !
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Moribund it is, and I'd second or is that now third the return of TORPC.
Are we going to be given an explanation as to why this individual was banned? It must have been serious what ever it was.
Community Veteran

Discipline is necessary in any group function. The Moderators often have a difficult task controlling some of the forum members who want to step outside of the rules and need the option of sanction for people who ignore the rules. Compared with many moderated public forums our mods are very tolerant. I'm not sure if anyone has been barred, but let's just play the game and accept the Ref's decision as final.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well to be frank yes the forum IS dying. There has been a lack of activity here for several weeks that i've picked up on, some new threads have come about but they're not interesting in the slightest and we've seen a lot of old threads being temporarily re-hashed.
As for TORPC, yes he's been PERMANENTLY banned. I got an email from him telling me that the mods and Chris all have it in for him because he's pointed out the truth about it all. Quite what this truth is he never actually seems to explain (despite several requests - so he's untruthful too!) - I can only assume that he thinks plusnet have buried the holy grail in the basement or something because apparently this truth that he keeps pointing out ranks up there with religious and political agendas. Then there was the time he decided to tell Plusnet how to redesign their own website.. when his own website was full of errors all over the place that he wasn't aware of. So he can audit the website of a multimillion pound ISP but can't spend 5-10 minutes making sure the links on his own site work and making sure the javascripts work etc? Odd. I PM'd him several times telling him to knock it on the head and all he did was ignore me, continue plusnet / mod bashing and then got banned. Then he expected me to pick up the pieces? Now come on, I liked the guy as much as most folks in this thread but thats just a dirty tactic. I told him all this by email and then several emails later when he took a few days to reply his comments were "do not panic if i take a while to reply.." Panic? - he's not my brother or wife but somehow he is of that same level of importance to me apparently even though he ignores my advice and then wants me to clean up his mess. I did tell him that it would make no difference, plusnet won't go to jail, plusnet won't get a big fine, plusnet won't loose sleep at night etc.. It's just an organisation that EMPLOYS people, they're not going to suffer for it - they do their job, get paid and go home.
I also think it's a bit daft to go around upsetting people who are facilitating your contact with your friends. Mook, considering TORPC thinks so much of you, why didn't he exchange email addresses with you before getting himself baned? - Were you really that valuable to each other as friends? - I have several email addresses of people on this forum - if i get banned I'd still be able to stay in touch with them with minimum hassle.
Despite all that, I also PM'd a mod and asked for his ban to be reconsidered. I got a one line reply  Roll eyes I will say though, despite TORPC refusing to let it go and not knowing when to shut it, I DO think he's been unfairly picked on quite frequently and lets face it, he's not the only member to get this (PluscomUK anyone?). Oddly though we have another member here with a high post count who can pick on anyone any never gets banned. You understand that there are absolutely NO cliques around here though right?  Wink
If anyone does want TORPCs details, I will give them to you on request but I'm not going around hunting for people to give them to - I have my own problems to deal with without taking on his religious / political agendas.
I noticed that Devonian has vanished too.. I will email him later and see if he is ok (i made sure to get his details just in case  Wink)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@doris barloff
TORPC fully deserved to be banned, he made some very offensive posts to & about various Plusnet staff and some other forum members. Just because he has been banned does not mean that the forum is dying, in fact, in my opinion it will be a far better place without his offensive nature. And I hope that is taken as a warning by others who clearly & persistently flout the Forum Rules.
There ware ways of pointing out Plusnet's failings and there are plenty of other posters (including myself) who do so without being offensive to individuals.
Community Veteran

I would have permanently banned a few people on here a long time ago - for professional rather than personal reasons. Incidentally it wouldn't be anyone who has posted on this thread so far.
There is a limit to the amount of times a member can sail too close to the wind before something has to be done and a decision made for the good of the overall community.
I've had issues in the past with TORPC and and have openly said to him that he seems to be deliberately out to cause confrontation and create extra work for the Staff and Moderators. Having said that, he did seem to calm down a bit and integrate more into the community.
I don't know what has been going on to get TORPC banned recently but I suspect it has been a decision based on accumulative events.
We also currently have a member who seems a little strange - one minute he is singing the praises of PN then he appears to be very anti PN.
Forums in general have got a lot quieter. I moderate and post a lot on a range of forums from Automotive to Electronic and that are all going through a quiet phase. I suspect this is just the natural progression of things to come. I've not been posting much recently due to going back to full time work / college / really can't be bothered with the attitude of some of the other members on here so will now pop on once or twice a day rather than every hour or so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Mook, considering TORPC thinks so much of you, why didn't he exchange email addresses with you before getting himself baned?

Would that not imply that it was his intention to get banned! As regards the swapping of emails we hardly knew each other and I for one am not going to PM someone and ask them for this information when only being visible on the forums for such a short time. OK I have it now, via a third party, maybe he thought the same. I don't know.
Were you really that valuable to each other as friends?

I am not really to sure what this means.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I noticed that Devonian has vanished too.. I will email him later and see if he is ok (i made sure to get his details just in case  Wink)

Whatever happened to Pierre_Pierre, he was  always  a thought provoking poster?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Pierre_Pierre may have been provoking on occasions but he was generally polite. He was also not in good health around the time of his last posts. I had been wonder what had happened to him and recently thought I would get round to asking about him.
Community Veteran

I'm sure the mods have done the right thing. I always found TORPC confrontational, you only had to look at his signature to see that.
I see he was last active on the forums Today at 10:32 and for Devonian it was 13/10/2014, 00:49. I assume this means they are still able to read but not post.
Community Veteran

. You understand that there are absolutely NO cliques around here though right?  Wink

So I'm NOT the only one to notice this.
It is a pity we are having this conversation. I, for one, found Torp to be amusing and thought provoking. Challenging even at times, but without being challenged we would become staid and bored. Sad
As for his signature,I read it to say that he didn't want to upset people with his post, and his opinions were his and his alone.
I think the forum needs him,and people like him. We are all adults and if someone disagrees with you, you can ignore them instead of 'rising to the bait' ( which he did too, I must admit).
The original post was to ask the mods to reconsider - so I ask the same again....
Please reconsider the banning of Torp.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

1)
Well to be frank yes the forum IS dying. There has been a lack of activity here for several weeks that i've picked up on, some new threads have come about but they're not interesting in the slightest and we've seen a lot of old threads being temporarily re-hashed.

2)
I DO think he's been unfairly picked on quite frequently and lets face it, he's not the only member to get this (PluscomUK anyone?). Oddly though we have another member here with a high post count who can pick on anyone any never gets banned. You understand that there are absolutely NO cliques around here though right?  Wink

I agree with both of those points...
And why the daily signposting of "News" Items which most of us have probably already read ?
Certainly those of us with comprehensive RSS Feeds, and Google Alerts, which point to items we are personally interested in !

TBH, nowadays I prefer a lot of the older threads to many of the new ones, which seem to serve little purpose.
My time is better spent elsewhere, than reading posts from Individuals, which I often skip...
But Not 7up's !!  Wink

I'm afraid I am not a supporter of TORPC, nor quite a few others !
I spend less & less time on Chit Chat these days
7up, keep  it up !
Community Veteran

I found some of TORPC's views/comments untasteful and offensive.
I think some of his comments towards the Plusnet staff were unacceptable. At the end of the day, this is Plusnet's forum and the staff are here to help. I would imagine he had been warned about this, but he chose to ignore those warnings.
Community Veteran

Mods seem to be conspicuous by their absence!
Would one of the Mods care to comment please?  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious about the process of banning someone.