cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the BBC guilty?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is the BBC guilty?

In advance of the Court decision on the BBC and Sir Cliff Richard, what do people think?  Should the BBC have broadcast the investigation of Sir Cliff before any charges were laid?

To my line of thinking, in this country it is innocent until proven guilty. The BBC even had a helicopter overhead to increase coverage. It's not like the BBC actually had any verified evidence. The BBC should pay damages.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
10 REPLIES
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

Re: Is the BBC guilty?

I don’t know why the BBC were involved, they don’t normally do “sensational journalism”

Agreed the BBC should pay damages, inevitably charged to the licence payer.......

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I think they overstepped the mark m'self in this case and it smacked of tabloid journalism, but compensation? Not really and besides, it would in effect be paying our money to somebody who has more than enough already.

A slap on the wrist for the BBC most definitely, but not cash to Cliff.

As for innocent until proven guilty well in law yes, but if it walks like a duck.....

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Fixes: 247

I would like to think that if he were awarded damages they would be donated to charity.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

What, my money to a charity not of my choice? 

Anyway, the guy would probably donate it to some happy-clappy evangelical outfit Roll eyes

Fixes: 247

I think that every time I see look at my payslip Wink

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

An independent enquiry, into who ordered the program, and the executives involved in provision of manpower etc, should decide who the "guilty" people are... once they have established that... any compensation should be paid out of the salaries of those executives at a rate of 10% for one year.

It matters not, if Cliff  " already has plenty of money".... if he has been "done wrong" and "slated" his reputation by this action, he should be given the compensation that you would expect if it happened to you in similar circumstances

If , like me, you are poor, and don`t already have plenty of money,... would that mean that I am not entitled to any compensation, because , if I havent got a lot of money,.then I don`t need a lot of money  ? ? ? ? 

Community Veteran

Absolutely guilty.

Both the police and the BBC lost all sense and reason because they thought they had a major celebrity criminal in their sights. Another Saville. Thankfully what they thought doesn't matter a jot, neither does gossip, only proof matters. No thought police here.

The BBC's motive in this was clear. Look at us helping to stamp this sort of thing out. Forget our past short comings.

Yes the BBC should be fined. Fined where it hurts. Instead of the licence fee going up a couple of quid, as it did, it should have gone down at least twenty. And those left in charge, after the previous lot were sacked, should have been sat down and had explained to them in no uncertain terms exactly why.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter

Indeed, but what good is compensation if you are already rolling in it? 

Punitive damages maybe. but not from us to Cliff only for him to pass it down the line. As you say and if they must, then let it come directly out of the pockets of those overpaid executive fat cats. 

PS. Also to note that the investigation by the police into all of this cost a reported £800,00 and that also reported, was over £1m paid out as compensation and true amounts or not, that is still mega bucks plus mega bucks coming out of our pockets. 

Compensation culture gone mad and at our expense.  

TeeGee
Rising Star

The principle of compensation is to both punish and discourage the offending party from doing it again. In this case both the police and the BBC will pay it from public funds. I find it quite offensive that nowadays allegations can be made by anyone about anybody and the complainant is automatically believed. He does look as if he has been affected quite badly by this accusation.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well with no grey hairs even at the age of 77 and worth a reputed £58m, I'd say he's looking pretty good m'self, and the only one who is being punished and discouraged is Joe public who picks up the tab on behalf of the BBC and the Police.

It's just easy pickings for the oh so easily offended. 

Sorry Cliff, but putting yourself on the world stage and then complaining about the attention justified or not.......