cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Dial up" internet still available ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Is "Dial up" internet still available ?

Yeah i remember netscape navigator lol.. every rebel in college would swear by it just to be anti microsoft back then lol. IF you dared admit to prefering IE you were an outcast.

It could still be downloaded a few years ago last time i chcked, i feel a bit glum now it's on wikipedia as a dead browser lol. I remember when we got our first desltop PC at home and i installed navigator so i could be in total allegiance to my college chums lol in their rebeliousness against MS. Truth be told IE was better than Navigator at times but when IE 5 came out i wanted to cry as it seemed horrible compared to v4. 

But weren't those days so much nicer and simpler? - These days everything is so fast paced, complicated and ignorant of people that i often wonder if the world should shut down for a bit.. oh.. hang on.. Corona that's right.. it has shut down.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

On the subject of dialup though.. how did getting another computer to dial you work? - Did you just set the modem to answer and it would work like a normal windows network connection?

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

You could send a command string to the remote modem to drop the line and redial given number.

Local modem would be set to auto answer...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

Dial up?

I remember Prestel at 1200 bps down 75 bps up, via noisy Strowger exchanges.

The Post Office's very own 'Betamax'. 😑

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Prestel provided links to a home banking system, that’s almost 30 years ago....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:

You could send a command string to the remote modem to drop the line and redial given number.

Local modem would be set to auto answer...

But what after that? - Did it work like a normal windows network where you could browse file shares or what?

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

No windows, that was years later, the desktops were just dumb terminals. You could log into the work’s miniframe, browse edit or run programs, mainly work but with a few other interesting programs. You could also connect to other mini & mainframes, just out of curiosity.

As covered earlier in this thread the best use was to connect to U.S. based BBs, text only versions of this forum.
There wasn’t much out there then...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I remember (probably in the early 90s) TV programmes like The Holiday Programme would say things like, "Take a look at our website at h t t p colon forward slash forward slash theholidayprogramme all one word dot co dot u k" and I would think, "I'm never going to get involved in the internet, far too complicated"!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yeah i remember that too lol - all them web addresses seemed so complicated!

How times change eh!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Cor I remember the first time I and had realised what the internet and web were. Like realising you could use the web and order takeaways on line, then I used the internet and e-mail were and getting my head around what they meant. I remember not really understanding,

I got used it in the end Smiley 😀

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Shep41 wrote:  CompuServe, now that's a blast from the past. I had a 486 running win 3,11.

Must be of an age. And in those days, Windows came on about half dozen floppy disks @ 1.44Mb each. It used to be so much fun back then. I used Netscape but at some point moved over to Opera. IE? yuk! Such was the learning curve I managed to trash Windows in the first 3 days of ownership. I managed to delete it all 🤣 Lucky had the disks to re-install it but had to put Dos 6.11 or was it 6.22 on first, then Windows. I do miss the warble of a dial up modem. 😎

Those days were a bit of a love hate relationship though. Bit of a challenge to get anything to work reliably- especially games. I even ended up upgrading the Diamond Stealth graphic card from 512kb to a massive 1 meg. Wow! As for memory. I paid less for 16Gb of ram than I did for 8Mb.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Early 90’s 8 x 1Mb memory would have cost 8 x £50, disk drives were about £1 a Mb....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@idonno wrote:

@Shep41 wrote:  CompuServe, now that's a blast from the past. I had a 486 running win 3,11.

Must be of an age. And in those days, Windows came on about half dozen floppy disks @ 1.44Mb each.

If I remember rightly.... Win 3.11 came on 21 floppy discs... and it was a long long long time to install them all... and a BIG relief, when the last one finished. and it all worked...

but a nightmare when it didn`t and you had to start all over again... again... again... !

Cheesy

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I can remember that you had to edit a command ( think is was autoexec.bat file but I could be wrong as it was a few years ago) to auto run Windows 3.11. that way you didnt have to keep typing win to run Windows. Then came along windows 95, what a game changer that was. Fluffy blue clouds as the default wallpaper etc . Ooo the good old days
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

You also had to load as many drivers as possible into high memory in config.sys to allow windows to run.