Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Dial up" internet still available ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Is "Dial up" internet still available ?

I`ve got an old bookmark link regarding Dial Up connection... !   and I have a "plug in" modem thing I bought many years ago,... just wondered if Dial Up was still available  ( from anyone.. not particularly Plusnet )

Put it on General Chat... as it s not really a "tech problem" .

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Is "Dial up" internet still available ?

@shutter A quick search produced this http://www.nippyinternet.co.uk/

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mook  Yes,   that is the link I have got ! ! ! !....

cheers

Wink

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Why pay for an expensive ISP when you can connect for FREE to the Internet. No monthly charges, no yearly fees, no strings attached, just use it as much and whenever you want, unlimited time online for FREE!

Just watch how long you are online for with a 0844 number, the costs will soon mount up!

I did so like the dial up days though the screeeeeach, b doing, b doing of connection was great 😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Marksfish  Yeah... it was a "strange" noise ! ! .... and as you say... gota watch how long you were connected, as the money side was in the phone call costs.... I think it "used to be"  a penny a minute.... that is 1p   not  1d ! ! ! ...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

As Freddie Murcury once said "Those were the days of our lives". I know what the song is really about and won't go into that here.

Aside from that, It is funny how I got on with dial-up at Uni. When I read speed faults I feel old and saying "Well back in my day".  😀

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Back in the early 80's my acoustic coupler at home was used to connect to Bulletin Boards mainly, probably only, in the States.

Remember ? Read the headers then download the bodies of the interesting ones.

I could run an expensive phone bill past my Boss but not my Dad.

The challenge was to dial the works computer which then connected to the BBs and then called me back.

Did it work ? Even after all this time can't say, not in print anyway....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Although the phone bill was a pain along with the slow speeds, the internet was far more magical back in those days wasn't it. Far more basic, far more charming, silly backgrounds and animated images..

Now you've got to have a professional looking site or people will outcast you, flashy graphics, a degree in Photoshop, another in css..

Most sites seemed to be hosted on Geocities with its tiny 15mb of storage and the challenge was cramming as much as possible on that to feel rewarded lol.

You'd feel lucky if you had a internet cafe somewhere that you could use a couple of times a week and you could forget to logout of your email and nothing sinister seemed to happen!

Now it's all gone completely nuts. I still like the internet obviously but I must admit I don't like how it's changed with everyone wanting your data, tracking you, wanting to make vast sums of money etc..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@7up   Yeah... the "magic" has certainly gone...but it is "more reliable" now .... a bit like in the "olden days" when a Crystal set radio brought you music and voices from far flung lands, such as Moscow, or Holland, or London ! .

then came valve radios... a bit more reliable... and so it progressed... just the same now, with the internet...progress progress progress..

I still have a crystal set... and still have some "fun" trying to get it working ! ! ...Cheesy

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@7up wrote:
You'd feel lucky if you had a internet cafe somewhere that you could use a couple of times a week and you could forget to logout of your email and nothing sinister seemed to happen!

Old memories revived : Mid 90's standing in line to use one of the Los Angeles Public Library computers.
Couldn't understand why the change over between users took so long then I realised between each user the computer was rebuilding from a backup image, total security....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

@7up   Yeah... the "magic" has certainly gone...but it is "more reliable" now .... Cheesy

Is it?

Every other email seems to be a phishing attempt - that didn't happen way back then. Every other website seems to get targetted for a hack at some point. Your email account has almost certainly had some bot try to breach it at some point and if you're on yahoo you've almost certainly been stung. Lets not also forget identifying you and your habits is now tracked by dozens of advertising agencies - even if you block cookies - by using an e-tag..

None of that lot happened way back then did it. Reliable? Certainly more dangerous that's for sure.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:

Old memories revived : Mid 90's standing in line to use one of the Los Angeles Public Library computers.
Couldn't understand why the change over between users took so long then I realised between each user the computer was rebuilding from a backup image, total security....

Wow that does seem a bit extreme to be honest but then guest accounts didn't exist back then did they!

I remember moons ago at my college (around 97-00) the library had a computer suite upstairs and you didn't even have to log on! A user finished, grabbed their stuff and went.. and you just took over from them - no logging on / off windows at all lol. The entire college was the same all over the campus but then this was back in the days of win98 but even that had user accounts on it..

But going back to your tale, it would've been quicker to have an automated process kill IE and wipe the cache surely...

Highlighted
Pro

I remember getting my first 9600bps modem and connecting via Compuserve on a 486 pc running Win 3.1. It took me hours to configure as it wasn't plug 'n' play back then. I spent an hour or so having a look around, then told my wife "I don't know what all this internet fuss is, I can't see it taking off" 😂. Ended up having to have two phone lines in the end as no- one could get hold of us.

Highlighted
Pro

CompuServe, now that's a blast from the past. I had a 486 running win 3,11. Can anyone remember Netscape Navigator ?
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@7up wrote:

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:

But going back to your tale, it would've been quicker to have an automated process kill IE and wipe the cache surely...

I reckon it was pre IE when Netscape ruled. Certainly no cache to clear. Probably rebuilt the PC as it was so easy to change settings or just screw it up.