cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is nothing sacred

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Is nothing sacred

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8757597/Twinings-Earl-Grey-brew-haha-is-just-the-start.html
No roadside caff worthy of the name would be without its HP alongside the tomato ketchup. Made from a recipe that includes tomatoes, malt vinegar, molasses, dates, tamarind and a secret concoction of spices, it is defined by its familiar tangy taste. Like Marmite, people loathe it or love it – and those that love it certainly don’t want it changed.
But Heinz has done just that in order to conform to the demand by government health chiefs that food should have less salt. The company has signed up to the Health Department’s so-called Responsibility Deal, a programme of targets for reducing the level of fats and salts used by food manufacturers. So, whereas the previous HP recipe contained 2.1g of salt per 100g, it now has 1.3g – a 38 per cent cut that for aficionados is enough to make all the difference to the taste. They say it is now too sour. Marco Pierre White, the Michelin-starred chef, who was eating sausage and mash in a pub recently, sent the meal back because he thought it was off. “It was the HP,” he said. “It was definitely dodgy. I had no idea they had changed the recipe.”
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Is nothing sacred

I think the mistake was to change it all in one go. If they'd progressively lowered the level a bit at a time over a year people would have got accustomed to the new taste.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I don't think it will do any good for sales.  I like HP and don't want it changed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

HP should have bought out a 'low-salt' version and left the original 'as is'.
I needed a tin of beans for a recipe the other day, was in the supermarket and noticed the tin of 'Heinz lo-salt' beans had a higher salt content than their own brand 'Basic beans', seemed daft .
Note to self........... stop reading the labels and get a life Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Why cant the politicos keep their nebs out  Angry
we should be allowed to go to damnation in out own way. HP is a condiment anyway so a bit on the side of the plate is not going to affect the overall salt content of a meal
I eat red meat, drink real ale and red wine. love my meat to have lashings of tasty fat attached.  Roll eyes
The politicos and their advisors the medical profession need to get real, get on with their own jobs and stop messing where they are not needed or wanted  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I choose to keep my salt intake low (in fact I've become accustomed to low salt so now when I am presented with some dishes which other people think fine they just taste like seawater).
Please explain to me why I should pay extra tax to pay for the increased NHS costs for people with high blood pressure due to consuming too much salt.
It's that that gives the politicians the right to interfere.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I'm not against healthy eating, and advice (propaganda) given out by true experts  Smiley
This case makes my point. The advice has been miss applied by over zealous thought police or maybe Heinz's marketing department.
If it was a frozen meal then no argument. The total salt content of a meal would be controlled. But this is a condiment and I think they are missing the point including this in the overall scheme.  Huh
What ever happened to common sense? Im not sure that all the latest food fads have been properly though through or the science is finalised before it finds its way into the sudo-legal system  Angry
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pierre_pierre
Grafter

We have a peculier ex East Ender Female on BBC Essex at lunch time.
Yesterday she said whe has HP and Tomatoe sauce together on her sausages
Also HP is now a product of Spain, and they have to say on the bottle - The Original HP
the one nearly empty - higher salt - Manufactured in the Netherlands by H.J. Heinz Holdings B.V.

My bottle just bought say Sodium 0,5g per 100, Salt equivelent 1.3g
Community Veteran

My bottle just bought say Sodium 0,5g per 100, Salt equivelent 1.3g

looks like low salt salt  Grin
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

We don't have HP  Cry
The supermarket-own equivalent on hand has 1.4g of salt per 100g. Tastes reasonably OK.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Please explain to me why I should pay extra tax to pay for the increased NHS costs for people with high blood pressure due to consuming too much salt.

and the tax payer may pick up a bill for you as you do not take enough salt onboard, too little salt is also a health problem.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I used to spend a lot of work time in Southern Italy, I dont use salt at home, but did  down there.  One our senior know it alls had to be carted off to Hospital with heatstroke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Actually there an awful lot of salt in the bread sold through the supermarkets and bakers, maybe that should be dealt with first rather than worrying about the occasional dollop of HP.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I think it was somewhere in Yorkshire or perhaps the Tees Valley where the local authority had asked for Fish and Chip shops to hide the Salt and vinegar. You had to ask for them  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

You can't have fish and chips without vinegar but I pass on the salt.  When I go back to Yorkshire I also like a helping of scraps on my fish and chips as well.  Totally unhealthy but nice Smiley Smiley