cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my hearing going...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Is my hearing going...

Last 2 gigs I've watched (radio 2 in concert) sound aweful to me, very disapointed with paul weller, and now elton john. Is the sound quality poor or do I need to go buy a decent decoder ? I have noticed on  both occasions that neither of the bands are wearing any in ear sets. Never had none of this trouble listening to ELO last year, perfectly audible.
Weller sounded the same on jools holland as well, am I missing something here.  Baffled.....
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Is my hearing going...

DAB, FM or TV?
If DAB, then yeah, the encoding on there is pretty poor so it sounds awful, FM is far better and cleaner than DAB cos it's not digital, and the TV versions (freeview, cable or satellite) of the radio stations, they're better than DAB but still high-loss digital...
Community Veteran

TV with built in Digital tuner I guess, Eurovision pop competition was all good.
Community Veteran

Pardon Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: 11110_110
TV with built in Digital tuner I guess, Eurovision pop competition was all good.

I missed the "watched" bit (saw Radio 2, and, y'know, assumed radio!!), but, yeah, digital TV is gradually getting worse as far as video and audio quality is concerned, all to do with squeezing in the HD stuff aswell as reshuffling the spectrum for when they sell off the 700MHz band for mobile services (as part of an EU order, cos apparently they like the 700MHz band for 4G services over there), meaning they need to squeeze every last bit (literally) of information into a gradually narrower band, they're just doing it little by little hoping we won't notice, but those of us with seemingly alien-like sensitive hearing do notice... Grin
http://www.ukfree.tv/article/1107052455/Been_missing_the_Digital_Switchover_Good_news_Ther
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can I jump in here. My Freeview terrestrial sound through my Panasonic telly is so much better than sound through the Sky+ box. In fact when by myself I often listen/watch that way. The only problem is that if I forget to reset it SWMBO can't get the system working for her  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus, I have exactly the same problem using a Humax PVR. The sound is much better directly through the Sony TV.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
digital TV is gradually getting worse as far as video and audio quality is concerned, all to do with squeezing in the HD stuff aswell as reshuffling the spectrum for when they sell off the 700MHz band for mobile services.
http://www.ukfree.tv/article/1107052455/Been_missing_the_Digital_Switchover_Good_news_Ther

So would that mean we need to move forward a little and get a Plusnet box with the BBC HD package? Or is the sound still the same on that.
I used to have a little Denon  & harman kardon setup...
Community Veteran

OR, do we just stick to streaming in HD mode through iplayer  Grin
Define HD.... meh!
sjptd
Grafter

Audio quality has certainly been going down steadily recently as they try to cram in more (rubbish) channels, and people opt for convenience rather than quality.  DAB was a particular low point.  I'm not sure if I am lucky or unlucky that my hearing has been following a similar trajectory.
Community Veteran

whats the point in Watching!
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: twocvbloke
FM is far better and cleaner than DAB cos it's not digital,

You do know the FM transmitters are fed by digital links? and have been for decades
http://www.bbceng.info/Technical%20Reviews/pcm-nicam/digits-fm.html
DAB isn't poor because its digital, its cos they chose to use low bitrate MP2
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
You do know the FM transmitters are fed by digital links? and have been for decades

Go ever so slightly out of range of a DAB transmitter, where the audio breaks up into pops, squeaks and garbles, that'll be the point where FM is far better than DAB because DAB is digital... Roll eyes
Yes the link source for FM radio is digital (but not the 90ishkbps of DAB, hell, itunes encodes in higher bitrates, but they're still poo aswell at about 120-160kbps), but the broadcast sound quality from transmitter to receiver is far better, clearer, and far less likely to deafen you or cause acoustic shock if the signal gets disrupted and you have a loud garbled squawk blasted into your lugholes (been there, done that, hate DAB cos of it)...
I'm just lucky in that I'm slapped between Burnhope (radio only) and Pontop Pike so TV & radio signals are rarely disrupted here, but I still far prefer FM over DAB, uses less power, it's available everywhere, sounds nice, and is handy if the power goes off...