Is it worth splashing out on cables?

shalom2010
Grafter

Is it worth splashing out on cables?

20 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is it worth splashing out on cables?

To the Question: "Is it worth splashing out on cables?" No
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was a bit miffed recently spending £5 on a hdmi cable lol. I thought I could use an s-video cable that I had stashed among the millions of cables I have.. do you think I could find one? No.
Argos made a quid or two from me lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Sprite, Did you look on eBay?
Community Veteran

It's always worth a look on ebay.
The last HDMI cable I bought on there was 1p including postage.
I was annoyed though that I had to pay 99p including postage for a new DVI cable for my PC.
Fixes: 47

As far as speaker cables are concerned I have in days gone by bought 79 strand and 150 strand cable at a price my friends considered crazy but that was the demands of Hi-Fi.
HDMI cables I bought recently off my suppliers for £3.95 each (2 metre) on the basis that it's digital and either works or it doesn't....these do very well.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Midnight

Probably not....... seeing as they are all in a big cardboard box in the loft..... with no lights up there ! ! !  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midnight

Yes but I couldn't find a bargain one at the time lol. Plus I wanted one the same day lol
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

HDMI - £shops are where I usually get mine. 1M £1
Longer ones ebay or amazon marketplace.
Got a 3M one at a boot sale for 50p - only as a spare no use for it just now, most of my equipment is <1M from the TV.
Digital cables either work or don't. Gold plating, O2 free etc is just jacking the price up to a gullible public.
Analogue cables, get the best you can afford, not necessary the most expensive.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Speaker cables definitely not.
HDMI: ish, but only to ensure they actually implement the standards appropriately  (I.e. CEC etc).  I.e. spend a £5er on a reputable one, not £20.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kelly
Speaker cables definitely not.

Yet they're far more susceptable to interference iirc?
Fixes: 47

I did buy one of these amazing cables for a specific purpose.
The theory on speaker cables is that the high frequencies travel along the surface of the copper wire therefore the more strands the more surface area the better the sound.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 124

A digital cable is just a cable that carries a digital signal. (A bit like when many people were conned into buy a 'digital aerial' during the analogue TV switchover - adding the word digital seemed to add £££s to the price.)
The better quality the cable the better the chance of the signal being received as sent. But with error corrections on digital signals over HDMI any degradation would be practically negligible and almost, if not, totally, impossible to perceive with the naked eye/ear.
I recently had to throw a cheap HDMI cable away because the signal kept breaking up. The plug at one end had become damaged from frequent swapping between devices. It was the cheapness of the plug and not the cable itself that was the problem. It's been replaced by a couple of just as cheap HDMI cables hopefully negating the issue of swapping them about Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Higher power speaker cables benefit from larger diameter copper. It's an electronics fact.
If you were to run say 20 meters of thin cheap cable you may have around an ohm of resistance on each core of cable - that's 2 ohms altogether. Put on an 8 ohm speaker and you've lost around 20% of your power through the cable. The cables won't really pick up interference as you're driving them with relatively high power and low impedance loads. There will be small amounts of inductance but nothing too much to worry about.
Audio and analogue video cables are a different matter. Along with resistance,  you have inductance and capacitance to worry about as well as shielding to reduce hum and crosstalk. The electronic bods will know that resistance, inductance and capacitance all go towards making filters so opting for a decent quality cable for these kinds of cables can result in better sound quality.
Digital cables are a tricky one. CAT5 and HDMI cables use twisted pair differential signalling which cancel out the majority of external interference. Sometimes the manufacturer scrimps on the twists in the pairs (saves a small amount of cable) which can cause issues. Quality of connectors also plays a big issue - if the connectors tarnish then you can get intermittent problems with the signal. Higher grade cable and insulation reduces cable capacitance and higher frequency digital signals have more defined edges to the pulses. This helps reduce potential data error or loss especially on longer cables. For shorter cables, most cheap cables will work just fine.
For the muppets who are buying gold plated fuses such as these : http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/fuses/322-silver-plated-bussmann-fuses.html - well you just need a slap.
beeceegee
Rising Star