Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth offering help?

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Is it worth offering help?

Don't quite know where or how to put this, but here goes.

I regulaly see new customers posting complaining about speeds/pings/page access, and note they never seem to have looked at the sticky which suggests ways to investigate/resolve the problem, or do read it but totally refuse to follow the suggestions. Posting 'my speed is low' without any point of reference or data merely makes those who could maybe help just walk away. I have noticed two members who used to give lots of help (thank you Anotherone & Townman), no longer bother, and I don't blame them, to be honest.

I too have posted in two or three of these bare-bones threads, and not seen any response. Do these people think it is possible to help if they don't give us SOMETHING to work on?

/rant over

John
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Is it worth offering help?

When you get customers who point blank refuse to help themselves with relatively simple things like plugging into the test socket or doing a quiet line test.

Is it any surprise that assistance walks away Sad

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

No surprise at all, Strat, but the number of people who come on here, post one badly worded moan, and then never appear again makes me wonder if they really are customers?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

I have wondered the same thing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm on a couple of programming forums and the number of people who sign up and say something simple like "my code doesn't work whats wrong with it?" and then don't even post the code, errors, description etc... people are idiots and thats not going to change any time soon.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have a similar problem, on the morse program that I use...  "newbies" come to the program... download it... and install it... then "appear" on screen.... two things happen after that...

1. as soon as I call them, and ask if they want any help with the program..... they just disappear, never to be seen again.... so I think to myself.... What was the point of going to the trouble of downloading and installing the program, getting "almost" started using it... and then running away, when someone offers help..

2.  Occasionally, some do answer and I suggest several pointers, which they seem eager to follow through... and after spending about 30 mins to 1 hour with them.. never see them again.. 

Again, I think,  what was the point.... 

I have made a blogsite with separate pages for various settings   and advice on the prog, in easy to follow steps, so now I point them to that, and leave them to it... 

I am on there as much as I am on here, I also have a record of those that "show" and use the program so I can easily spot the time wasters.. which, at the moment is about 90% of them... not showing again.. ( records go back over 5 years ! ! ! )..