cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it legal?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is it legal?

I live in a terraced house and my neighbour has eastern european builders in to construct a loft extension. Our front gardens are about 2 metres wide and the pavement (sidewalk) is about 2 metres wide. The builders have scaffolding up the front of the two storey house to roof level. There is a rubbish skip parked at the road side in front of our neighbour's house.
The builders are chucking roof tiles, plaster, lathe  from the second floor and roof directly into the skip (over the pavement) without bothering to install one of those orange rubbish chutes.  This creates a lot of dust but also seems rather hazardous, but is it actually illegal?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
6 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Is it legal?

I doubt it is actually illegal, per se. If they were doing the same thing on an isolated property with nobody else around then it might be OK.
The builder would be expected to have done a risk assessment prior to commencing the job. It would appear in your case that there is significant risk of causing damage or injury to passers by, so they should have used a chute. Perhaps talk to your neighbour first, but I think I'd get in touch with the council and get them to send someone round to have a word.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

don't be to obvious about this but I would take a few pictures (or video) about what's happening as there is every chance that if the council come around to inspect it they may no longer be working on that section the day he calls.
Community Veteran

I'm in agreement on this, talk to the council.  It's worth checking if planning permission is needed and if it's been given.
Also if the skip is in the road it has to have lights on at night.
Community Veteran

Been down this street (metaphorically speaking) I subcontracted work on one of my barns a few years ago. I was the main contractor and was required to have £3m public liability insurance as the barn was adjacent to a  public right of way. It was a whole can of worms.
But I remember it evolves around if the builders have a 'contract board' (Company name, contact number and ‘General Builder’ or something similar on display), If they have a 'sign up' the builder is ultimately responsible for any damage or accident and is covered by his own insurance. If the builders don’t have a sign your neighbour is liable. Damage,  accidents and third party liability during building works are not be covered by normal home insurance,or damage to adjacent property.
As I understand  2nd story and above (roof), rubble-chute is a requirement unless everything is "carried by hand".
Guess it would be the polite thing to have a word with your neighbour. 'Scammers' could be round "I was caught/slipped by a falling piece of masonry and had to take 6 weeks off work".

Community Veteran

Thanks guys. I already have video footage of the rubble being thrown down into the skip.
I'd best warn my neighbour, but he appears to have moved out for the duration so I'm not quite sure how to contact him. The builders are decidedly anonymous.
The car next to the skip at the moment is a 2010 reg Audi estate, covered in dust.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: artmo
Also if the skip is in the road it has to have lights on at night.

It also has to have the necessary permission from the council to be on the road at all...very often the skip hire company arranges this.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation