cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Is it just me?

We have a neighbour with a couple of noisy dogs, they bark all the time. I complain and shout at them but no one else does WHY NOT?
Is it due to them being townies and used to the noise or why?
I grew up in the country and am used to peace and quiet, a barking dog meant trouble, not just someone too lazy to walk their dogs.
BTW I have had 2 dogs over the past 20 years and neither barked excessively - they will bark at someone intruding (at the door, near the garden, etc) but don't go outside and yap their heads off.
I believe it is down to lack of discipline and exercise by the owner. What do you think?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is it just me?

I agree with your last sentence.
A few years ago we had a similar problem so I spoke to the dog man at our local council.  Didn't do any good as they wanted me to keep a a diary and also appear in court as a witness in any prosecution.  I felt that was their job not mine.
Community Veteran

I threatened them with an ASBO a few years ago, it was just ignored as are my requests to shut the b*******y dog up.
It is getting so bad now that I may just start the diary again, it will be something like 8am - 12pm barks  Crazy
Community Veteran

We have a couple of dogs here that sometimes yap constantly when outside. Luckily they are several houses away so it doesn't really bother me.
Though my neighbours and a few other do shout a few choice words at them sometimes.
I think it's down to a complete lack of discipline. In this case a couple of dogs added to a number of kids who already seem to run wild when in their garden.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The dogs are probably bored.... due to lack of attention... you shouting at them, gives them the attention they are missing.... so they bark more..... to get more attention.
No good talking to the owners... you have no "clout"... but the local "noise" department in the council DO have clout....
OK.. may mean doing some backgrouhd work, as you say, keep a diary,... but can you record them too?  If you can get a 10 minute recording to back up your "noise complaint" ... it could be useful..
Razer
Grafter

Community Veteran

Sounds like council or housing association property.  If you report it they will not involve you. If you are right that the woman is no longer living there, then, apart from a possible legal issue, she is also depriving someone else of the accommodation who might be in need of housing.
Community Veteran

It is a housing authority house, I own mine unfortunately.
Quote from: artmo
If you are right that the woman is no longer living there, then, apart from a possible legal issue, she is also depriving someone else of the accommodation who might be in need of housing.

When did I say she is no longer living there? She has lived there longer than I have been here (20 years now)
I must say that I am starting to feel like Victor Meldrew. Everything seems to be bugging me just now.
Community Veteran

You didn't but Razer did in a post he has now deleted.
Community Veteran

get a dog whistle.  humans can hardly hear it, but it will confuse the dogs no end.
Community Veteran

No good would annoy MY dog as well.
I will just start keeping a diary again.
Starting now.
17/6 9.24am barking for 2  25 min