cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me or..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is it just me or..

are all the forums all over the web dead at the moment?
Every single forum I visit seems to be absolutely lifeless at the moment and no matter how many times a day you visit hoping to see some sign of life, there is none!
Whats going on?!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Is it just me or..

well, you are certainly racking up the "new threads" on this one, to generate some excitement....  Cheesy Grin Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Social media. More people are using Facebook and Twitter to communicate, we've seen the same with the number of people contacting us on Twitter increasing by a huge amount over the last 24 months.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it could just be the time of the day/night or the time of year,
people are rather like butterflies in that respect, they tend to follow cyclic patterns in what they do and where they go with the odd few bucking the trend and hanging about in the same area regardless
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nanotm

it could just be the time of the day/night or the time of year,
.............................the odd few bucking the trend and hanging about in the same area regardless

I resemble that remark  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: Chris
Social media. More people are using Facebook and Twitter to communicate, we've seen the same with the number of people contacting us on Twitter increasing by a huge amount over the last 24 months.

So by what you're saying then, the traditional forum is on borrowed time then? - Yikes!
TORPC
Grafter

Only borrowed time for the social aspect in the foreseeable future me thinks
As for the support aspect, it may be not far behind Sad
It will only hang by a thread for those who do not want or need to use the likes of FB, Twitter etc
nanotm
Pro

well that's going to be a lot of people then,
the young might prefer the likes of facebook/twitter et al however older more persec conscious people shy away from them in droves, but then that's rather similar to the reasons why people went to yahoo in the past and then in the last 5 years shied away from it in droves
if there are forums around they will always attract people who want to be serious unlike social media where things tend to be more about publicity or bashing something
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
the traditional forum is on borrowed time then? - Yikes!

And before forums, newsgroups, and before that, bulletin boards, and if you go back far enough we had coffee shops and pamphlet wars. The "public sphere" is ever changing, and yet ever the same. Here is a quote from an eighteenth-century book about a dog sitting in a coffee shop listening to the people
"who used to assemble here in an evening with the most public-spirited views; namely, to settle the affairs of the nation, and point out the errors of the ministry. Here he has heard the government arraigned in the most abusive manner, for what the government never performed or thought of; and the lowest ribaldry of a dirty news-paper, cried up as the highest touches of attic irony. He has heard sea-fights condemned by people who never saw the sea even thro' a telescope; and the general of an army called to account for his disposition of a battle, by men whose knowledge of war never reached beyond a cock match."
Sound familiar?
Gabe
RichAllen
Grafter

I have a Twitter account but I almost never use it.
I'm always on Facebook though.
Community Veteran

I think people who spend their lives on facebook..  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

I don't (never will) have Twitter. Closed my FB account after getting absolutely bored with the innate crap being spouted there.
I hope fora like these don't die out but, hey, that's progress for you.
If Online Chat support is available I will use that. Only the other day I used it to sort out a problem with a company based in the states and it works very well especially as I could then download a transcript of everything by email at the end.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Gotta admit I thought about joining twitter a few times but even then I couldn't be bothered! I must admit though, I did find it incredible that it could be used as a tool to chat up pretty celebrity women such as Mel Sykes who met her toyboy via it lol.
FB.. er no. Privacy is the least of their concerns for a start so I shall leave them to it. What did annoy me was that they went through a phase of emailing me every few weeks inviting me to join up and connect with various other people I know. I found that quite disturbing. They apparently know who my ex boss is, my relatives, other ex colleagues, etc. Thats not only slightly alarming but also creepy. If that was a human it would be classed as stalking but because it's some big american server somewhere with code written by someone who knows nothing about me (or at least did once) that makes it all ok. Sorry but I feel even less happy about being stalked by a computer system in the USA!
nanotm
Pro

well that's the price you pay for having  less savvy friends and family.......
several of my old acquaintances got in a lot of trouble when they listed people they worked with in their fb profile and send them "join FB messages" as adding people you know like that is a breach of several DPA rules particularly if the people you just added to the spam list were trying to stay off the radar (so to speak)
Community Veteran

nano - BRILLIANT!
Thats how I'll sink my old boss!  Wink Excellent advice, why did I never think of that myself?
After all the hell he put me through I think it's only right that I perhaps have the council answer some questions..