cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ever going to end??

Community Veteran

Is it ever going to end??

It started out as some nice pretty festive snow but not I am beginning to get scared. It just keeps coming! for the past two days I can't get out to even get bread, milk etc.
Even if I could I am not sure if the shops in the local town will have any!
I live in County Down in NI, four miles from the nearest shop. For the past two days I can get a half mile in one direction and about 20 yards the other way until I get to the first steep hill.
I wish I had snow chains but not much I can do about that now. The only thing I have been able to do is work because I can do that remotely.
My family are supposed to be travelling to my brothers house in County Cork (other end of the Island) for Christmas. I don't have anything here for Christmas, not even a tree!
If this keeps up, what is normally associated with a traditional Christmas is going to completely destroy Christmas for lots of people and I am sure it already has!
26 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Is it ever going to end??

From what one sees on TV it's going to destroy Christmas for a lot of people  Cry
Next door neighbour managed to go from Leighton Buzzard to Sheffield, and back, yesterday to bring their daughter back for Christmas. We hope to drive up to Huddersfield on 26th to spend a couple of days with our daughter but won't take the risk of being stranded.
We've not been out since last Wednesday - will make an attempt to clear car of snow this morning.
Great weather for children and longer legged dogs but not much else.
Community Veteran

Today is the start of my few days of for Christmas. I would really like to get out and get something done. I am keeping an eye on the road hoping for a rescue by a snow plough/salter but it is not likely!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Gotta be said that I've never understood this fascination with bread and milk that people have in this bad weather.
How about keeping spare supplies of soup, cream crackers and other stuff thats wrapped and has a long use by date? In europe they don't let it worry them so I fail to see why we start panicking.
I've always wanted a white XMas... and this year I'm bloody working outside in it - typical isn't it. Whats worse is I just have to stand there outside basically doing jack all for HOURS - after the first one your feet turn to ice! When you have multiple pairs of socks and trousers on and you're still getting cold its not funny.
Then there's my motoring history.. EVERY December I have a disaster which costs me dearly. If its not head gasket failure its a gearbox blowing itself up, engine seizure or like last year a head on collision with another object while slipping on ice. 2 days ago I slipped and the car hit a kerb (it actually bounced off it back into the road!). Luckily there doesn't seem to be any damage although I've not looked underneath but when coming back home I let my tyres down to half the pressure they normally are to increase traction.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Half pressure is rather extreme. I hope that even when on totally clear roads you are keeping your speed well, well down.
Don't forget that if you have an incident if it is discovered your tyre pressures are low, you are likely to be blamed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: okrzynska
Gotta be said that I've never understood this fascination with bread and milk that people have in this bad weather.
How about keeping spare supplies of soup, cream crackers and other stuff thats wrapped and has a long use by date?

I agree.
Long life milk is not as nice as the ordinary stuff but is easy to keep as a standby. Cravendale keeps for a few weeks in a fridge. There is milk in plastic tubes that can be kept in a freezer.
Flour and dried yeast keep for many months.
I am well stocked  with the above and tinned / dried foods. So long as I have gas and water I have supplies for a couple of weeks. I can see that largish families in smallish houses might have problems finding space to store sufficient supplies.
Fixes: 47

I usually have one or two 6 pint bottles and a large sliced loaf in the freezer whatever the weather.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

I have.... Sunshine and no snow, same as last year  Embarrassed  I want snow, about 6 feet of the stuff, the rest of the country is shut down except for this little green bit, bah, humbug!
Community Veteran

Not a bad idea to have a small calor gas camping stove handy in case your power gets cut !
I also keep an old spare 12 volt car battery in the garage, charge it up with a battery charger and it should have enough power for 3- 4 hours. It.s dead easy to find a spare 12 volt car bulb and wire it up.  At least it will allow you to light up a room.
A Head torch using rechargeable batteries is no bad idea either !
Community Veteran

How about http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-7009.aspx no need to keep it charged up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: jelv
Half pressure is rather extreme. I hope that even when on totally clear roads you are keeping your speed well, well down.
Don't forget that if you have an incident if it is discovered your tyre pressures are low, you are likely to be blamed.

You did read the bit that said 'when coming home' didn't you? (In fairness I forgot to say it was just to get into our estate).
I've not been out since. Unlike most, I'm following the advice of not going out unless totally necessary. With regards to letting down the tyres its actually a known technique to increase traction and thus reduce slippage. No-one else seems to think of it these days. I'm certainly not going on the main roads like it though, pump in the back of the car to reinflate them once I'm out of the estate.
Oddly though, no-one ever says anything about removing snow chains on clear roads or keeping the speed down with them on  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

How about http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-7009.aspx no need to keep it charged up.

Thats a handy item. Keeps you warm as well winding the handle !
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska

You did read the bit that said 'when coming home' didn't you? (In fairness I forgot to say it was just to get into our estate).
I've not been out since. Unlike most, I'm following the advice of not going out unless totally necessary. With regards to letting down the tyres its actually a known technique to increase traction and thus reduce slippage. No-one else seems to think of it these days. I'm certainly not going on the main roads like it though, pump in the back of the car to reinflate them once I'm out of the estate.
Oddly though, no-one ever says anything about removing snow chains on clear roads or keeping the speed down with them on  Roll eyes

Good sound advice there.
Another trick a lot of people don't know: if you have a rear wheel drive car and one wheel is spinning madly when you try to pull away, lightly apply the handbrake to slow the spinning wheel, it should mean you get some traction on the other (and take the handbrake off once you are moving).
nadger
Rising Star

Managed to find the car under the heap of snow on the driveway and it started first turn so put heating on recycle to help clear the car. Didn't bother moving it but will make it easier when I do.
Noticed one car go past with those socks on the driven wheels.
Being former campers we've got a large gaz cylinder + some smaller ones ready in the house.
Community Veteran

Another trick a lot of people don't know: if you have a rear wheel drive car and one wheel is spinning madly when you try to pull away, lightly apply the handbrake to slow the spinning wheel, it should mean you get some traction on the other (and take the handbrake off once you are moving).

The other very effective thing you can do with rear wheel drive it to fill the boot of the car with all the heaviest items you can find, bags of coal are a good start. You will get anywhere then!
The problem is though that I doubt that the vast majority of BMW owners would know they had a rear wheel drive car if asked!
My car is front wheel drive like most and piling bags of coal on the bonet may cause other issues  Grin
I did manage to have some fun in the snow today though: