Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a good idea to ...........?

OCdragon2
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Is it a good idea to ...........?

I am thinking of replacing my 3 bedrooms', landing's, and staircase's carpets and my hallway's carpet with laminated floorboards. However I am very hesitated to go via the carpets "big-chains" (whose names I wouldn't like to name for legal reasons) as I read about other users' very "unhappy" experiences about them, particularly their contracted Fitters for the carpets whose work-quality are not always assuring!!
Therefore I'm thinking of hiring my "fitters" through RatedPeople.com in my area, with traceable work-quality, and supply them with my chosen carpets, under-lays, door-bars and laminated floorboards etc. What I would like them to do is just LABOUR to remove OLD carpets and fit my new carpets with quality only. However I would like to break the jobs into TWO in that both my hall-way, staircase, and landing as Job1, and all bedrooms as Job 2 to reduce work-complexities involved. I'm retired now and have plenty of time, so using my spare-times to organizing it is not a problem! On top of it may save a few quid as well I hoped.... Is it a good idea and could I have some comments from you whose has actually done it and still very happy about it pleaseHuh?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is it a good idea to ...........?

A professional fitter of laminated floors would no doubt be able to get trade prices and pass the benefit onto you if you have already negotiated an hourly rate with him/her.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
OCdragon2
Grafter

Thank you for your infos. Is it better to quote my preferred carpets and laminated flooring, but not their prices, to the potential fitter/s and let them to come up with, hopefully,  a better "overall" deal , meaning labour and materials, rather than just pay him the labour chargesHuh  Unless he goes to the shop with me or providing me with a variety of SAMPLE, of which containing my preferred carpet and laminated floorboard samples, it may be difficult to do that I think!
Community Veteran

If you go to a local carpet shop you will get all your requirements without all the hassle. I have just had some carpet supplied and fitted and got a very good job from our local carpet shop.
Community Veteran

Unless you intend to DIY, the biggest expense for 'floor-laying' is the labour.
If you take out the labour costs, then cost the timber. As a percentage of the whole cost there is not too much difference between say a good hardwood T&G (say Elm) and a laminate.
I'd go for a good hardwood floor anytime over a laminate and forget the carpet.
Try a local carpenter.
Community Veteran

Something to remember with hardflooring. Firstly, it is noisy and this is a consideration if you live in a flat for example.  Also it isn't as warm as carpet.
Fixes: 125

Personally I prefer wood flooring over carpet any time; easier to clean and looks better.
Why do some people have carpets in the toilet?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@artmo: very good points (warmth and sound), I was comparing laminate with wood.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Something to remember with hardflooring. Firstly, it is noisy and this is a consideration if you live in a flat for example.  Also it isn't as warm as carpet.

Have to disagree with that.
We have bamboo planking over T&G. The bamboo is about 1 cm thick, completely draught proof and warm. It's a lot easier to keep clean than carpet (we have 2 dogs), just needs sweeping every so often.
Don't know about noise as we live in a bungalow. But, as we wear slippers/soft shoes noise isn't a problem for us!
Geoff,
York.