cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Christmas Already!

Community Veteran

Is it Christmas Already!

I can't believer it!! Selfridges in London's Oxford Street opened its Christmas department yesterday.

Selfridges

Bet they've got the Easter eggs ready to go on display as well Wink

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Is it Christmas Already!

Of course it's christmas already, my local te$co is clearing out the BBQ stuff in preparation for the halloween and christmas junk, bonus for me though cos I just recently got a Weber BBQ so I'm loving the cheap BBQ stuff... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@twocvbloke - All you need now is some sunshine. Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Nah, don't need sunshine to slow-cook some smokey ribs on the grill, just hot charcoal and time... Cool

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

You read if first in The Sun!

Must be true as even the Evening Telegraph are reporting it. Smiley

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=selfridge+Christmas+promotion+2016&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:%7Brefe...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
PowerLee
Rising Star

When I was based in a supermarket distribution warehouse, we used to see the Easter eggs start to appear around the end of August.

They all had to be sent out so all the stores had them in the stock room on boxing day.

Seeing aisle upon aisle of racking filled with pallets of Easter eggs as you left the workshop to test drive a forklift was an impressive sight.
Community Veteran

There was an interview with a toy buyer and she said they go to Toy Fairs in January to order stock for the following Christmas.

This is in contrast to clothing which has to be in stores within weeks of order.

Minivanman
Hero

From memory even the smaller independent shops and cafes would order stock at least six months in advance for Christmas - the difference being of course they did not display the stuff until much nearer the time. Also from memory, remember those boxes of cigarettes that came in either fifty or a hundred..... and all to be passed around and smoked at Christmas as if your life depended on it!

What were we like Roll eyes   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm so glad my name is Scrooge! Wink

Seriously though, I haven't celebrated Christmas for about 10 years - it has just become an almighty commercial enterprise.

John
Minivanman
Hero

I guess we all celebrate Christmas in our own way. Never been struck on the religious side of it but it's always nice to have family around at the end of the year in order to cheer us up during those dark nights, and the end of December is as good a time as any I suppose. As for the commercial aspect, I kicked all that malarky into touch years ago. 

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman My 'celebration' most years now is to go and visit friends in Brighton who have the same attitude. December 25th is 'just another day'

We do go out for a meal over the holiday, but we would do that anyway - there's just so many good eating places.

John
Fixes: 125

jab1 wrote:

I'm so glad my name is Scrooge! Wink

Seriously though, I haven't celebrated Christmas for about 10 years - it has just become an almighty commercial enterprise.

Christmas starts on the evening of 24th December and ends sometime on the 26thTongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still