cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is honesty the best policy?

Fixes: 47

Is honesty the best policy?

2 weeks ago I did my Tesco shopping which included 3 packets of Tesco Dry Roasted peanuts.
I use their shop and scan system where I walk round picking items on my list, scanning them and popping them in my shopping bag.
When I returned home and checked my receipt I realised that I had scanned only one bag of nuts instead of three.
Today I returned to do another weekly shop and my first port of call was Customer Service to confess my sin.
I suggested that as I had 2 bags of nuts on this week's list I could pick 2 and scan 4 thereby redressing the balance (the price hadn't changed).
The Customer Service manager who attended to me agreed with my proposed course of action.
I did seem to notice some strange looks from the staff on the Customer Service counter Undecided
Was I being just a wee bit too honest Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
PitchBlack
Grafter

Re: Is honesty the best policy?

For you to confess Strat, it must have been weighing on your mind, so you did the right thing for yourself and your own peace of mind. Personally though, I would have picked another 3 bags of nuts and just scanned 1 again  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it's down to the individual to be honest. Sure I'd feel guilty if it was me and I'd try to put it right but these days a lot of people don't care. My missus years ago went into one tesco store and eat a croissant straight from the shelf where you pick and bag them yourself. She ate it while walking round the store and then at the checkout 'fessed up and paid for it. When i asked her why she'd done it she said she was starving and as long as it was paid for before leaving the store ...  Shocked
Yes I was utterly shocked!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I walked out of Tesco with a couple of bags of onions which I'd forgotten to weigh and scan a few weeks ago.
I headed back as soon as I noticed (halfway across the carpark) and paid the £0.37p owing to Tesco - I moan at them enough when they get it wrong so they know me pretty well by now.
Community Veteran

Only this week whilst going round Tesco's with g'son sat in a small trolley I hung a trigger operated aerosol on the back of the 'cage'. Completely forgot about it at the checkout and the checkout chick didn't notice it.
Only when we were home did we miss it. Left the damn thing hanging on the back of trolley in the trolley park! :doh:
But, yes honesty is the best policy! Smiley
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Civilisation is all about sticking to the rules for the benefit of the greater good. Well done Strat, but you'll never be employed as an Investment Banker.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

Yes honesty is the best policy
Well done strat all respect to you Smiley
I forgot t pay for petrol back in the 90's, it was a couple of days before I realised (or rather the young lady I was seeing at the time queried the extra holiday money.
We went back the the garage on our way back & told the guy on the counter & his reply was (I do not understand why you came back as most people wouldn't have, have the fuel on us for your honesty), I gave him my details & asked if he could inform his boss (never did heard any more)
Fixes: 125

Well done, Strat.
I would be quick to complain if a company short-changed or overcharged me so it must work in the other direction.
I remember a few years ago I was a little short for my purchases (not in a major supermarket) and very apologetically suggested I leave one of the items. I was told not to worry and to pay the remainder the next time. When I returned to the shop several days later I was met with astonishment when I attempted to pay back what I had been let off. But I did feel good about it Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shalom2010
Grafter

You were right. These days there's CCTV everywhere so you could have been stopped as a thief - if they ever check their recordings. 
Fixes: 47

I did get the distinct impression that the staff were quite shocked at my action and didn't appear to know how to deal with the situation.
Those nuts will taste a lot better now Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
shalom2010
Grafter

Maybe some cameras are just for show! Sounds like your Tesco staff need some training Strat.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well Tesco don't advertise it that much but round here certainly they use face rec on there cctv footage and if they catch the same people "forgetting to scan" on a regular basis they tend to take action and ban you from the store along with handing the offender(s) a court summons, to be honest its long overdue and it will certainly be cheaper to prosecute than allow the wholesale thieving to continue (theres a large "roma" community or at least that's what they are currently calling themselves) hopefully measures like this will allow them to lower the price of a tin of value beans back below the 30p mark
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shalom2010
Grafter

Well I refuse to scan my own items, even if it's quicker, much prefer to queue up and see a friendly face Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If I understand strats post he waited a week before returning to the store and admitting his mistake but lets us assume he had either been spotted on video or stopped by security staff as he left the store what is the likely chance they would accept his explanation of, sorry I forgot to pay for that ?
Agree it was correct to inform them of the mistake but as stated it is worth thinking what would have happened if he had been stopped.
I Have no time for shoplifters but there must be times when a genuine mistake is made but I wonder if the stores are ever lenient if they think it's a genuine case.
shalom2010
Grafter

I agree, that's my major concern with scanning myself. II have only used a scanner once and needed help. I would classify myself as a techie  - but scanning items seems to take forever and they stall right
when you don't want them to or when no one is around. Long live the till person!