cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is food getting cheaper .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is food getting cheaper .

A number of the large supermarkets appear to have more items marked at a pound than usual, one example being 4 pints of milk.
Is this in response to  shops such as aldi and the various pound shops which are appearing over the country .
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Is food getting cheaper .

Probably not.... in the trade, these "offers"  are what are known as "loss leaders"... which gives the "unsuspecting public" the impression that everything else in the store must be cheap too! ..  Shocked
(I saw that notice outside our Tesco, this morning....) However.... it would be a waste of money for me to buy 4 pints for £1... as we only use about 1.5 pints in a week ! ! ..
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I think you are right. The big supermarkets are having to compete with Aldi et al. I use Sainsbury's and Tesco and I've noticed an easing of prices in the past few weeks.
Fixes: 121

There's some details on Tesco's reductions here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

its not that the food is getting cheaper, certain items are priced lower but others are rising a lot more to compensate for those loss leaders....
I've been buying value tinned food and value breakfast cereals for years, the cost of the tinned goods has risen from 18p 4 years ago to closer to 40p (average price from the last 3 months)
things like 24 value Weetabix (whichever shops own brand) have risen in price from 98p for 48 4 years ago to 98p for 24 today, in the intervening period the prices fluctuated as high as 1.75 for 36,
just a couple of examples but I could trawl through a few dozen similar things that have had name changes over the last 5 years in order for the prices to rise whilst comparable branded items have been getting cheaper due to deals that seem to run almost permanently
I hate that its happening this way as well, the people who need the cheaper food most are the ones who almost never buy branded items, the people who normally buy branded stuff are well off enough that they don't need to be subsidised in this way

people call it an economic crisis but what thy fail to see is that the so called squeezed middle is getting a lot fatter whilst other parts of society are getting a lot more undernourished (because they cant afford the decent foods, 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've been buying Aldi's milk for several years (85p for 2L). Asda are doing the 4pints for £1 and have been for a while. Tesco was just uneconomical for me to buy @£1.35 for 4 pints even though SHMBO works there and we are in daily.
I haven't seen prices coming down (apart from the recent Tesco reductions), and mostly have gone up by 1-5p in the past year.
We have a routine to visit Aldi (furthest away) and get bread/milk/pre-packed ham/veg etc there. Then to visit either Tesco or Asda for the rest. However the taste of some items makes me prefer different shops versions. E.g. Asda value corn flakes (42p for large bag) taste MUCH better then the Tesco ones which I though tasted like cardboard. But the Tesco Baked Beans are much better than anybody else's (including the branded ones)
Being on a strict budget means that we don't buy branded goods (often, sometimes offers mean they are cheaper than the alternative, like Baxters soups @50p in Asda) so shops own brand gets tried and rejected or accepted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not cheaper for me, 2 years ago I could buy branded food and spend on average £20-25 a week.  Now I have to buy Tesco's/Asda's own brand to keep my weekly shop to my budget of £20-25.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017

I used to like Morrison's own brand custard and rice puddings (around 17p a tin) but some time ago my local store stopped selling them. Then I discovered Tesco value at 18p a tin. But as of a few weeks ago they seem to have stopped doing the rice although they do still stock the custard - not a major problem as I just badger SWMBO to make her own excellent rice pudding more often.
A few years ago I was quite happy to drive around to get the best deals from ASDA, Morrisons, Iceland, etc but now I'd rather just the one shop, a lot less kerfuffle Wink
Quote from: nanotm
people call it an economic crisis but what thy fail to see is that the so called squeezed middle is getting a lot fatter whilst other parts of society are getting a lot more undernourished (because they cant afford the decent foods, 
I have to disagree with you on that. We usually go for the cheapest cuts of meat, fruit, veg, etc. but we are most definitely not undernourished.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Is this in response to  shops such as aldi and the various pound shops which are appearing over the country .

I would think so yes. We went to our nearest Aldi the other day and the place was absoutely heaving. There were more people within close proximity to each other than I've ever seen at any supermarket. Not only do they have their weekly deals to keep you returning, they also have cheaper food than our big supermarkets. The big four here can stuff their loyalty rewards (which you pay for anyway) and all their false deals, the german supermarkets are a lot better for price.
Only snag is our nearest Aldi is 16 miles away and the nearest Lidl.. well they're nothing like Aldi.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: 7up
The big four here can stuff their loyalty rewards (which you pay for anyway) and all their false deals

You have to have your wits about you when shopping - even online.
At the weekend a packet of 18 Andrex toilet rolls on offer at £8. A pack of 9 for £3.50!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I've noticed loads of cons like that around the supermarkets these days. ASDA are terrible you have to check the receipt as soon as you leave the till and be prepared to drag a customer services person round the store to point out the advertised prices  Crazy
Tesco aren't great either. Their prices vary wildly and often in favour of the supermarket. Sometimes though they get their multibuy discounts a bit screwed up and refund you.. or you take a discounted item back and they refund you the full price  Grin
Sainsburys.. more expensive but you never need to question their pricing at all. It's always spot on.
Waitrose however are exceptional. Expensive but you get what you pay for. They over charged us on a couple of things once completely by accident and they refunded us fully and told us the goods were on them  Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

My local Sainsbury's has upgraded its wine department recently and has some very good offers at present.  They were offering a good quality Rioja for £6 a bottle which is the best I've seen it for a few years.  Got 6 bottles so got an extra 2.5% discount Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Is that all - I thought it was 5%
But then again I haven't bought wine from Sainsbury for years - I like a very nice McGuigan Shiraz Viognier at about £12 A bottle it is too expensive but ever so often it is on offer a half price so I stock up with about 18 bottles with 5% discount.
Although just occasionally I have found it on offer combined with a store special of 25% off if you buy 6 bottles - I haven't seen that for a year or so though
Community Veteran

I'm sure it was 2.5% but you could be right - every little helps Wink
I noticed some McGuigan wines in Sainsbury's but not sure if they stock your Viognier.
Devonian
Grafter

It wont be long before the prices of basics, like bread, milk and meat go up.
3/4 of all farms in Devon alone have had massive crop and live stock losses this winter, I would imagine the total losses nation wide would pretty high.
It's not just losing the animals, feed, land, and crops that costs money, it also the recovery.
I think summer will prove to be pretty expensive as locally source products become fairly scarce.
Farming subsides and compensation, plus importing food all costs.
Those cuts inevitably will end up on our plate.