cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay really worth it?

Fixes: 121

Is eBay really worth it?

We have a pine bed for sale that is in extremely good condition with or without the mattress (we'll actually list the mattress as free).
As I haven't sold anything for a while I thought I'd check out the fees:
First 20 listings a month free - that's good.
10% final value fee
3.4% PayPal fee +20p
This means if we sell it at £100 we will be losing £13.60. Even more if we want to use a 'Buy it Now' option or more photos.
Any suggestions for selling the bed? Obviously the buyer would have to collect. I have suggested placing an add in the village newsagent's window but I doubt there'll be much interest.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is eBay really worth it?

Look for local selling pages on Facebook - we sell and buy stuff from the trading pages on there.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Gumtree?
I wouldn't waste my time with eBay.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

+1 for Gumtree. My neighbour put his car on it and it was gone within 4 hours.
As for ebay, sharks. It's fine for buying from but I'd hate trying to sell and make any money from it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 101

I'd go with gumtree, used that to sell a bed locally before.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

+1 for gumtree
Also look at 'classified' add in the local newspaper.
TORPC
Grafter

+2 for gumtree
+1 For local classified(s)
Also try http://www.freeads.co.uk/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ebay.... now, let`s just have some thoughts about that...
1. Where do you find Ebay............. answer..... on the internet
2. Who is connected to the internet........ answer ... well just about everyone from Siberia, thru Mongolia, to the Phillipines, outer hebrides, South America,.. the whole of the USA, and Europe, and China..
3.  So out of all those people... who is coming to collect your bed ?
4.... No one....
5... You want it collected.... advertise LOCALLY.... not WORLD WIDE...
6. yes.. local shops , but if it is 50P per window per week, then you only got 6 shops for one week... and you have racked up almost the same "selling fee" as ebay...
So... freeebie advertising papers... If you have some "work related" or "club" related noticeboard,, you could try that....
Community Veteran

We popped a cabin bunk up for sale for £50 on the local Facebook selling page - after a no show, we had someone who turned up from the next town and after a couple of trips had thoroughly wrecked the inside of his people carrier but had a new cabin bed for his daughter  Grin
48 hours and cost us nothing.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

free ads for selling anything more than 1kg in weight, anything under I can sell though ebay, but remember the real postage costs (I always get the scales out and check the package size/weight on the postoffice website then put it as insured special delivery (24hr) or insured special delivery (48+hours service) and quote the two postage options, however I happily buy all sorts off ebay but avoid anything that has local collection like the plague (mostly because ebay is useless at getting things listed locally correct) 
ebay is brill for cloths jewellery electronics and parts selling but not for much else Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

You do tend to get the best price on ebay but the charges usually kill that.
Though I was lucky recently. Bought a PC off gumtree for a good price but I didn't thing much of it in the end so I decided to sell it on.
Managed to sell it on ebay for a good enough price so despite ebay/paypal £50+ charges I still made £30.