cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is broadband technology behind in the UK? (general chat)

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Is broadband technology behind in the UK? (general chat)

The UK is still miles behind much of the developed world when it comes to communication. I suspect this is because one company has a monopoly on the Infrastructure (BTOR). While they can make a fortune out of us for the shareholders they are going to hold back on improving and integrating new faster technologies.

The local exchange here had been converted in 2012, but large area's of town had still not got availability in spring of 2015. I had to get my local MSP involved, I am not likely ever to vote for him but to be fair to him he got BTOR moving.

We should have had FTTP years ago, it is ridiculous that we still rely on copper pairs to bring Phone & BB in to our houses. In a modern world where we are moving evermore to a digitally connected world, the UK is in real danger of being left behind.

Highlighted
Rising Star

I think we already are @DaveCW , the problem is as technology improves we need this to keep up with it and I'm kinda wondering if we're scraping it now.

For example, I know Wi-Fi at the moment is very give and take (it's like a radio signal after all) however it's also very poor on a whole for most people where they get incredibly low speeds (and I mean very low) in a lot of cases as well as lots of drop out's yet so many devices now (IE Roku TV boxes for example) aren't even being built with Ethernet ports anymore and they are Wi-Fi only.

This is how a lot of technology is going and how can you run a consistent TV service on a Wi-Fi connection that more times than not is very low or cutting out way too much, we're so behind.

But going back to the whole being delivered to our homes through the line, this really does seem very out of date to me. I know I said it before but it really does remind me of the whole analogue and digital TV situation, it took forever for them to do that switch which really should have been done in the late 90's/early 00's at the latest but it was way after if I remember correctly.

Imagine if we were still on analogue now, it only changed cause it got the point where they had no choice and the same is happening for the broadband situation, they'll leave us to struggle for however long until they have no choice but to change the way our broadband is delivered.

This whole telephone line thing is so outdated, people don't even barely use landlines anymore apart from maybe business' etc.. but in regards to general customers, most of us don't even want a landline in our homes.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The WiFi connectivity/capacity issues in homes can be overcome by using better WiFi access point technology. BT make use of this in their marketing where they dupe the public into believing their brand of Broadband is more powerful. They are in effect conflating two technologies. However BT Openreach Broadband (and its white label derivatives, such as Plusnet) is still constrained by Frankenfibre (partial  Fibre and Copper hybrid).  Wireless technologies such as 4G and 5G can give faster and greater capacities provides the base stations are well provided with base fibre connections. However in areas of dense populations the cellmasts have to be close together otherwise local capacity falls off. The only true solution is to have a landline (true fibre) to every home/business, leaving the issue of in-property distribution to the owner. 

The only reassurance we have that 5G transmissions are safe comes from the suppliers and their supporting politicians (These Beef Burgers are safe for my kids to eat). 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Rising Star

Hopefully they'll just sort it out and get a more solid way to deliver the internet to our homes as opposed to inconsistent lines as the whole phone line delivery thing is the most problematic thing more times than not for people.

We need a solid underground delivery thing but because it's such a big job that will take time to do they'll put it off until they really need to do it (which is pretty much not far off the way technology is going).