cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is broadband technology behind in the UK? (general chat)

Highlighted
Pro

Re: Is broadband technology behind in the UK? (general chat)

@robbieglover2k As you say, they'll leave it until they have to.

It's like the illusion of democracy with government.

There's an illusion of competition with businesses that supply services.

ETA. I meant to add a link to this for anyone interested. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

I can remember reading a novel about it in the mid 70s. Seemed almost like Sci-Fi. I was still living at home, and we didn't even have a phone.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:but when the are transmitted overseas? 

Transocean cable map.

To be honest, I find 80Mb/s more than enough for this household. We stream a fair amount of stuff and don't suffer from buffering, disconnects etc.

Would I like it faster? Maybe but no doubt the price would soon go up. But it is a bit sad to see the cabinet just done the road and yet, copper wire is the final connection. Until they upgraded the cabinet in the village to fibre, we slow boated at a heady speed of 1.2Mb/s. A distant memory now. Over the years I did investigate satellite broadband - expensive. Very. WiFi broadband but couldn't get coverage as too many trees in the way between the tower and the house. But was nigh on a par with BT for pricing. Supposedly with that you get the speed you pay for. A fair number of houses in the village have gone that way even though we have fibre available.

But it isn't all honey in other countries. Singapore. Yes, fast broadband but with a price to match. Vietnam fairly basic - improving though, reasonably priced and very quick installations - like order in the morning, installed and running come the afternoon. But it did help if you lived in a city. Their mobile coverage was very good too but then they stuck cellular towers anywhere and everywhere (if you had a flat roof you could have a cellular tower on it) - cheap too. At the end of the day I think all countries have their plus and minuses when it comes to technology.        

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Champnet wrote:

We’re very good at concept and design but very poor at implementation....

Interesting read if you are interested. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784

Politicians don't like monopolies. But look at the countries where broadband is "better". Most are telecom monopolies, and that includes the USA. In most parts of the US you get broadband from your phone supplier, and there is typically only one of those.  

Highlighted
Rising Star

Yeah @Minesapint it's mad ain't it, it's like all these things could really improve and like someone else just mentioned in regards to businesses and home businesses too it's the way to go and supports that also so it really is surprising they haven't upgraded the way it's delivered to us much better before now.

As I say the amount of problems people have with the internet is unreal and it really is more times than not a line issue, it does seem very dated to me to be honest, big time. 

It's like TV's with aerials on the top getting a TV signal haha slight exaggeration I know but you get my point, it really does feel that outdated to me to be really honest Smiley 

Highlighted
Rising Star

Yeah but we just seem a lot further behind @idonno lol

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minesapint wrote:

ETA. I meant to add a link to this for anyone interested. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

@Minesapint 

Nice article, I used to be 'quite interested' in that subject.  😉

I remember, after being told about it and not really believing how simple it was, being shown a method many years ago by an Australian of making free calls (including international) from BT phone boxes.  It involved using a short piece of stiff wire (such as from a wire coat-hanger) shaped in a slight curve with a bend at the end which was pushed up the ejected coin slot and released the 'stored' coin whilst the call was taking place.

As he was showing me (and it was a call to Australia, so the credit was ticking down fairly quickly), he was feeding a £1 coin in and quickly releasing it to be used again, thus racking up several £s of credit, he complained that sometimes they'd lose 🙄 the odd £1 coin but couldn't understand why.   Well it was pretty obvious to me why they were 'losing' the £1 coin - there was a LCD display which counted down the credit - so I told him not to put his £1 coin back in when the countdown was nearing a £ 'boundary' as that was when the mechanism released the stored coin and dropped it into the coin-box.  Problem (his, not BTs) solved!  😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've just noticed BT has officially changed their logo, a very advanced bit of art and design of taking the letters B and T and putting them into a circle, I wonder how much they paid for that investment, cos frankly, I could have done the same thing in MS paint in 2 minutes...... 🙄

BTlogo.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Turned on it's side with the B on top and it looks like a scary emoji.

No?

Just me then. 😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Turned on its side, it looks like it makes the face of a disgruntled customer, which I guess is appropriate... 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Some people are touting 5G as the way forward, but there is an increasing level of "offloading" of cellular mobile data onto WiFi networks served by wired connections in buildings. This percentage will increase as the IoT (Internet of Things) increases.

Cisco have produced a report on this, but here's one quote: “As a percentage of total mobile data traffic from all mobile-connected devices, mobile offload increases from 54 percent (13.4 exabytes/month) in 2017 to 59 percent (111.4 exabytes/month) by 2022...."

There's a growing need to provide good wired/fibre connection direct to the home.  The actual capacity is not such an issue with modern applications, excepting video, the more important factor is to have lower circuit latency as mobile applications increasingly process input on a character by character  basis at central servers.   The old model of web browsing of small upholds and large downloads is changing.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Yup @twocvbloke 

Noticed that yesterday.

I am rubbish at art, but like yourself I am sure could create that in about 10 minutes.

Wonder how much the advertisting agency got paid for that. It'll be a figure you and me wouldn't mind having though.

Bet the advertising agency left work early and had a long lunch down the pub 😃

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Alex wrote:

Wonder how much the advertisting agency got paid for that. It'll be a figure you and me wouldn't mind having though.

Bet the advertising agency left work early and had a long lunch down the pub 

.. laughing their socks off.  

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Is it available in Welsh? 😉

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

Back to the original question of is broadband technology behind in the UK?

There was a time that we were ahead, now we seem happy to leave it to the Chinese to design and supply the hardware, so probably not. Are we behind other advanced economies in implementation? Yes.

Why is FTTP more expensive? I suspect that it's considered a luxury product so attracts high profits and of course so that BT can recover the investment costs as soon as possible. After this of course they can sit back and pile up the profits from the investment we the customers have paid for. Just because FTTP is capable of very fast speeds doesn't mean that it can't be supplied capped down for a cheaper price.

I don't think wireless is the answer. There's only a finite amount of spectrum available and it can't be expanded like adding another fibre cable. It's also prone to interference, a bit like the current last bit of cable in FTTC.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

Can that be right?

I do not pay more as far as know for FTTP, and it's capped as you call it at 36 rather than 66mb which I would have to pay extra for.