cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else having trouble with eBay site after paying with PayPal ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Is anyone else having trouble with eBay site after paying with PayPal ?

Since Friday 10th September, I seem to be having an issue with the eBay website and wondered if anyone else has seen the same thing ?

So the sequence goes -
1)  I bid and win an item on www.ebay.co.uk, and receive the item won email.
2)  Follow eBay page for payment and get directed to the PayPal login.
3)  Pay for the item, and receive the payment confirmation email.
4)  Paypal page closes and takes me to an www.ebay.co.uk page that says "Thank you for your payment". and clearly shows my name, my eBay identity, and that I am logged in.
5)  Now this is where the problem occurs -
        What used to happen was that I could select ANY link and I would continue on eBay - and that was fine.
        What now happens is that ALL the links on the page are pointing at www.ebay.com, so selecting any link takes me to the login page of the American site !.
6)  Interestingly if I open another browser tab and enter www.ebay.co.uk I get take back to where I wanted to be - and I am already logged in.

Of course I phoned the eBay technical support and got the typical Indian, no it's not our problem it must be something you are doing lecture, including -
a)  You MUST ALWAYS clear your browser history every time you switch between websites.
b)  You are not using Internet Explorer, so I can't help you.
c)  I have checked the system and there are no problems at all with the ebay.co.uk website.
d)  PayPal must be doing site maintenance and they must be causing the problem.
e)  In future pay for your eBay purchases using the PayPal "Send Money" feature instead of following the eBay payment links.
f)  When I explained that the hyperlinks on the page were pointing to the wrong website I was told it must be an issue with my machine.
So having repeated why each of his suggestions were wrong and there is clearly a repeatable and demonstratable fault with the eBay site I was eventually told that a note has been made about my concern, and did I have any other issues to discuss today !  -  AAAaaaarrrrrgggg !!!!
So if you have paid by PayPal, and are presented with an unexpected eBay login prompt - now you know why !
All you need to do is type www.ebay.co.uk into your address bar and you will be back where you needed to be !
[/rant]
3 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Is anyone else having trouble with eBay site after paying with PayPal ?

Cant say I noticed but will look out for this next time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had another issue with ebay a while back. I can't even remember what it was to be honest but like yourself I ended up ringing them up, talking to a foreign call centre and getting very annoyed. I think the best thing to accept is that they don't want to know and the call centre is there to blag it.
Yahoo are exactly the same. You can set your security to require you to confirm your password at regular intervals. Mine is set to every 2 hours. Of course when writing a long email and clicking send, if the 2 hours are up then it redirects you to the password page. Enter your password and get sent to a nice EMPTY compose message page where you suddenly realise your email has been lost, not saved and not sent. Despite literally over 30 emails between me and Yahoo (including screen shots) they still couldn't understand it, told me to wipe my history, must be a fault at my end blah blah blah.
To put it bluntly these support depts are armed with people who are not technically minded, have only skills to answer a phone and look at your account (and only just understand that) and give you pre-determined answers which are designed to help only noobies on the web.
I've now given up with them. The Yahoo issue was an easy fix - I even sent them code to show them how to save emails before redirecting to the login page. You think they were interested?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I really don't understand the mentality of these so called support centres.
Surly if a customer phones in with a genuine technical problem with your product, then the best solution for everyone involved must be to correct the issue in the least possible time.
Therefore customers see a better product, and the company gets a better reputation.  The company would also benefit from needing less call centre staff dealing with repeat fault reports.
Where I last worked, the customer support people would gather enough details from the customer in order to repeat the problem for themselves.  The support staff would then get a developer to look at what was going on, and generally there would be fixed code within a day (or by the end of the week if it was difficult !).  The support person would then be briefed on what has changed, try it for themselves, then get back to the customer and ENSURE that they are happy.
In the rare instances when the support staff felt they were getting in too deep, then a developer would talk directly to the customer to understand their problem.
Like okrzynska, I have screen shots, captures of web page source html, have documented the exact key sequence,  but eBay are just not interested - AGAIN  Angry

As another instance of support gone mad,  a couple of years ago the whole eBay format changed and suddenly I was unable to do several things that I had previously found useful.
Because this change caused me considerable hassle and wasted a lot of my time, I phoned eBay to see if they would listen to my simple idea on how to improve their service.
The person who answered the phone was a bit confused as they didn't have a procedure to deal with suggestions, so I was transferred to a supervisor who listened to what I had to say, but again said there was no procedure in place for accepting ideas and suggested improvements - but I got a polite thank you for taking the time ... blah blah...
A few days later I get an email message from eBay, which started of to the effect of 'We are unable to accept any ideas about changes to our service .... ... ... because if we implemented them then you (as an outsider) might sue us for copyright", this was followed by a load of threatening legal stuff.  I was left very disheartened and wished that I hadn't bothered.
I find it all VERY frustrating, because I use eBay heavily every day,  and there are so many things that could be made just a little bit better - with VERY little effort,  but there is no means to put forward suggestions, or get involved as a beta tester, etc - which I would be happy to do for free !