cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else getting fed up with this?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is anyone else getting fed up with this?

I'm talking about the continual freeview retunes. When Freeview was announced years ago they said it would be superbly reliable with no major signal issues like analogue terrestrial TV.
I think we've had to retune our digial reception 4 or 5 times now because its so reliable and there are so few signal issues  Crazy
To add insult to injury:
The 700MHz frequency band, currently used by digital terrestrial television, will be opened up to mobile services by 2018 as part of a global plan to harmonise frequencies for mobile users.
Digital television will eventually migrate to the 600MHz frequency under Ofcom's plans.

and
Consumers worried that this will mean new set-top box equipment and yet more upheaval need not be alarmed, said Ofcom.
"This will not be a new digital switch over; all it will need is a simple retune," said Ed Richards, Ofcom chief executive. "It's a migration."

I appreciate that retuning isn't a big issue but at the end of the day its a TV. I want to use it to watch TV not keep retuning it every time Ofcom decide they want to rule my life. We were promised a reliable hassle free digital TV service and its becoming quite clear that its the opposite and while the technology itself is reliable, the service provided is not.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Is anyone else getting fed up with this?

To be honest it doesn't really bother me. Doesn't take long to retune anyway.
What does concern me is the impact on the elderly or those otherwise not au-fait with the technology. They may either have to wait for someone to sort things out for them or lose channels that they like to watch.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
I appreciate that retuning isn't a big issue

Try telling that to my mother in law!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Gordon Bennett!  Roll eyes
I can count the number of retunes I've had to do on one hand of a pair of boxing gloves!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Not sure how accurate this is but I am sure concern has been expressed that 4G networks may cause interference for a number of people living within a certain distance from the transmitters. Anyone else heard this ?
Fixes: 47

Hmmm....that rings a bell Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

yes i am sprite  Shocked
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Not sure how accurate this is but I am sure concern has been expressed that 4G networks may cause interference for a number of people living within a certain distance from the transmitters. Anyone else heard this ?

According to what I've read the problem is going to be very real and OFCOM are insisting that the part of the money made from the sale of the spectrum should be spent on dealing with the many problems which it is thought will occur.
The problem is that many aerial installers nowadays use log-periodic (broadband) aerials which are still very responsive at the top of the band.
Experiments have shown that the mobile signals cause mast-head amplifiers and multi-set distribution amplifiers to be severely affected. Many homes use these nowadays.
The solution may be a low-pass filter but this will need to be installed before any mast-head amp. Anybody got a roof ladder ?
Also the problem is not just from mobile base-stations (masts) but also from peoples own  4G smart phones which will produce stronger signals within the home environment.
My TV aerial is aligned on Emley Moor and pointing straight through a nearby new base-station mast. I can hardly wait.
Rich
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Doesn't take long to retune anyway

Depends how many devices to retune - 6 takes a while Crazy
Fixes: 47

Personally I'd rather set a few auto-retunes going than manually alter clocks around the house twice a year Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles

I read something about this. It will cost up to £100 to those affected to sort it out.
Community Veteran

But will it be sorted out ? Perhaps for the majority but I bet there will still be a few people left with problems.
Wonder if there will be compensation for anyone taking a day off work waiting for an engineer to call to fit a filter or whatever is needed.?