cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a £50 note legal tender?

Fixes: 47

Is a £50 note legal tender?

Last night I offered a fifty pound note in payment for some drinks and it was refused (company policy).
So if I offered a dodgy £20 note instead it would be looked on in a more favourable light Undecided
For what reason would it be refused Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is a £50 note legal tender?

This has been discussed here before – the offshoot was that the term ‘legal tender’ has a very narrow legal definition that isn't to do with the general notion of whether something is acceptable as payment or not.
[me=Be3G]Googles[/me]
Here we are, straight from the Royal Mint themselves: http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/policies/legal_tender_guidelines.aspx
itsme
Grafter

this is the important bit.
Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes.

It's not unusual for £50 notes to be rejected. Hence the reason that when I was given one by the on-course bookie last year I got rid of it straight away by paying the restaurant/bar bill with it.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would think that so few people have them as "small change" in their wallet, that they would not even recognise it...... let alone be able to tell a genuine one from one you have just printed yourself.....!  Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

Have to agree, this was another reason that I wanted to get rid of the one I had as quickly as possible. Can't remember ever having one before so it could have been monoply money.  Grin
scootie
Grafter

think this usa legal tender vid has bein posted on here before. it still stuck in my head since i saw it a year ago thoe.
you should of done the same and got it changed into pennys

I did think of taking it to my bank and putting it into my account but they'd probably refuse it as well Crazy
Still wonder at the reason for the refusal though Undecided
Community Veteran

@Strat, how did you get a £50 note in the first place?

Not from work as you can imagine. Roll eyes
I paid for something for someone on my card and they paid me back in cash, part of which was the £50 note......a source of great amusement and taking of the piss at work as you also will guess. Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Not from work as you can imagine. Roll eyes
Quite.
Quote from: Strat
a source of great amusement and taking of the [Censored] at work as you also will guess. Angry
Yes I can imagine!
itbookworm
Grafter

I'm the same as everyone else - I probably wouldn't know a fake £50 note from a real one. I do know why some places won't accept them though.
If you use a fake £20 to pay a £2 bill and they give you £18 'real' money as change they are down £20 assuming the bank notices when they pay in the fake. If you use a fake £50 to pay the same bill they lose £50. If they refuse to take £50 notes the most they can lose at any one time is £20. That doesn't help if you pay with multiple fake £20's but you get the idea.  Smiley
Addnan
Grafter

Quote from: Asbo

think this usa legal tender vid has bein posted on here before. it still stuck in my head since i saw it a year ago thoe.
you should of done the same and got it changed into pennys

Is this for real lol. You can pay as much as you want with pennies in the USA?

Businesses have devices for checking bank notes.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Itsme quote was not complete
Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes. In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender it is necessary, for example, actually to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded.

My bank doesnt care how many coins you bring in, it has a chute you pour them in and then it counts them, no commission unlike Supermarket ones
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Any coins I have "left over", go in my personal RNLI savings box....... I never have enough to take them to the bank...... Cry

though one day I may empty the RNLI box and have to take them to the bank!..!  !  Smiley