Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is Your New Smart TV Watching You?

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="info Security"]
Black Hat 2013: Researchers Demo How Smart TVs Can Watch You
Two different presentations at Black Hat Las Vegas on August 2nd 2013 called new attention to the risks posed by smart TVs increasingly found in homes and offices around the world. Researchers demonstrated how vulnerabilities in these systems can be used to steal online credentials, sensitive data and even turn device cameras against users to record them illicitly. Ericka Chickowski reports.
"You can do whatever you want on a smart TV because it's just a regular PC", says Seungjin Lee, a researcher from Korea University. "So you could do hijacking, keylogging when the users are web surfing, (and) sniffing traffic."
In his talk Lee explained techniques that an attacker could use to gain and maintain persistent shell access to most smart TVs remotely or locally, and ways to leverage those to keep tabs on users through what most would view as an innocuous device. Meanwhile, Aaron Grattafiori and Josh Yavor of iSEC Partners offered a similar presentation that highlighted their findings that culminated in a number of vulnerabilities discovered in Samsung TVs, reported late last year and fixed by the manufacturer this year.
Read More Here
4 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Is Your New Smart TV Watching You?

Given evidence suggests the  vast majority don't bother to use the 'smart' functionality of, or even bother connecting their TVs to the web, I think its largely FUD!
Heloman
Grafter

Maybe I'm in the minority then, but I certainly use my "smart" TV.
I've been watching the Test Match on it all day. And I don't even have Sky TV  Grin
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

A while back, Live TV..
Noel Edmonds about to surprise a Celebrity in their own home, with a secret camera mounted next to TV......
You can guess what they saw !!
Fixes: 125

I've tinkered around with the SMART features but can't find anything of interest except the ability to view files from my PC on it. But that can be touch and go as to when/if it works.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still