cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Trustpilot being used to shaft some ISPs?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Is Trustpilot being used to shaft some ISPs?

In today's Daily Telegraph there is a piece on shoppers being duped by faked reviews. A number of persons in this community have referred to the poor showing of Plusnet in Trustpilot, whilst another ISP with hardly a proud reputation score much higher.
Just thinking that as much as a company might elevate itself  with fake opinions, a rival could diss another. Is PN as bad as painted by Trustpliot?
PN staff are the best at replying to complaints on Trustpilot, but do they have and use any method to ensure that the posters on TP are genuine, such as asking for aPM to confirm  PN user name?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Is Trustpilot being used to shaft some ISPs?

I read reviews of items I am proposing to buy on Amazon but don't take everything I read as gospel.
I have used PC Advisor when considering computer related items.
However at the end of the day, the proof of the pudding.....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PN are going through the wars at the moment judging by the recent posts but the main reason I came here was the UK based team. I've tried dealing with other companies offshore teams and I won't comment on them.
Considering the huge numbers of PN customers, the posts we see here are probably a very small percentage of that number. As posted many times, complaints attract far more posts than commendations so the figures are skewed.
Let's be careful out there !
Luzern
Pro

I agree with all, but the point at heart is whehter PN (or any other company can be, stitched up by rivals or a group with an agenda. .
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well you've kind of answered your own question. If company A can pay to have favourable reviews then equally they could pay to give Company B bad reviews. The people that do the posting probably do not care what they're typing or why, so long as they get paid. After all the only reason they're doing it for is the money.
Luzern
Pro

But are ISPs in a better position to call bluffs, by checking for confirmation of genuine user names? Should they?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Absolutely they should. If it were my company I would insist that the poster prove who they are, not just to validate them but to see if there was anything I could do to help reverse their opinion. I have heard that if one person has a bad experience they will tell at least 10 others, but only 2 or 3 when it's a good experience. That's not good odds when you're trying to run a business regardless of who you are or how big your company is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

"Just thinking that as much as a company might elevate itself  with fake opinions, a rival could diss another. "
The manipulation of reviews is big business.  This book,which I have recommended before, is based on fact and quite worrying. ( And a compelling read too)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I7G9MZS/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8