cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet going to aquire EE's broadband customers ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Is Plusnet going to aquire EE's broadband customers ?

National UK telecoms giant BT has this afternoon moved to bolster their plans for launching a new consumer 4G mobile service in Q2-2015 by confirming that they’ve entered a period of exclusive talks to buy EE (Everything Everywhere) from joint owners Deutsche Telekom and Orange.
[quote=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6757-bt-edges-closer-to-acquiring-ee-as-exclusive-negotiations-take-place.html]while the sale is mainly about converged fixed and mobile and vastly increasing the BT penetration into the mobile sector once more, there is various interesting aspects. Such as what will BT do with the EE ADSL/FTTC customers, move them to PlusNet? Will EE continue to exist as a name, or could we see a total rebrand

BT  :  BT enters into exclusive negotiations to acquire EE
    ThinkBroadband  :  BT edges closer to acquiring EE as exclusive negotiations take place
           ISPreview  :  BT Confirm EE Selected as Exclusive Acquisition Target
                  BBC  :  BT in talks to buy EE for £12.5bn
    Yahoo! Finance  :  BT opts for EE over O2 for 12.5 billion-pound UK mobile deal
Deutsche Telekom  :  Deutsche Telekom and Orange agree on exclusive negotiations with BT on EE

Cry
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is Plusnet going to aquire EE's broadband customers ?

I haven't read what the telecoms' analysts have written, but I would imagine keep the EE brand.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm... I heard a bit about this on the news.... first thing that came to mind was......

Monopolies Commission
Surely, this "merger/takeover" whatever, should be investigated by them?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I would imagine they would skip the EE brand cos its got a horrible reputation, although under bt's overseas call centre system their customers wont get anything better /
the monopolies commission wont have a problem with the mobile market and so long as the fixed line customers are offered a free transfer to whatever internet /phone provider they like there wont be a major problem in that area either, if BT were to buy the company complete and then warf the fixed line into one of their subsidiaries there might be some hurdles to overcome
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 104

EE are just a reseller rather than LLU so probably can be swallowed by BT Retail
Quote from: shutter
Monopolies Commission

Maybe but talktalk, voda / virgin offer triple / quad play already.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I'm struggling to find accurate figures for how many UK landline (fibre and ADSL) broadband customers EE actually has   Embarrassed
The ThinkBroadband article suggests the figure could be 70K or 700K, but is confusing due to two typos.   Crazy
If it is 700K and Plusnet took them on, then that would nearly double Plusnet's customers.   Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Lookingf at the whole sentance I would guess 700.000
EE has some 24.5 million mobile customers and a much smaller fixed line broadband base of just over 700,00,
But I have queried in in TTS on TBB
Update the article now says
Such as what will BT do with the 700 EE ADSL/FTTC customers,
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/newsite/f/4377606-bt-ee-news.html
Now confirmed as being 700,000
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Just think how much worse the on hold and ticket response times would be if PN were to acquire that many new customers  Roll eyes
It would be a complete melt down , average answer time today 41 minutes and 46 seconds
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

first thing that came to mind was......

Plusnet mobiles.
Would that mean a freephone mobile number for service status?
Community Veteran

I havent heard much bad about EE as a brand, and their mobile network seems the best in the country.
However I dont see BT keeping EE fixed line services separate from its existing services, I expect either BT retail or plusnet will swallow up the userbase.  But if BT did that they would probably also have to rebrand the mobile service to a matching name, if BT are going for triple play I think its more likely BT retail would absorb the customers not plusnet.
Community Veteran

I don't see there is a problem for the monopolies commission. Also I think they would want to rebrand EE under a BT umbrella.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When you have this type of takeover most of the action is at Board level while the workers are TUPE'd over to the new ownership. There would then be a two years or so period when "synergies are achieved" (staff cutting) where consultants and managers will make dubious decisions about which parts of the business should be "re-structured" and which parts will be allowed to die/whither on the vine. So it is highly likely the initial Help Desk configurations and customer structures will remain in place until it is convenient to migrate them into the new business model. One of the great joys, to consultants at least, is the work needed to merge mismatching computer systems while retaining archival data.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

The ThinkBroadband article has now been corrected, and now clearly states that 'EE' has 700K fixed line broadband customers.
Fixes: 124

Although EE's website needs much work on it and customer support can be a bit hit and miss I am used to it and know how to get through to the right people to get my requirement/problems/complaints sorted.
If they go the direction of BT I would seriously have to consider my options.
Quote from: artmo
I don't see there is a problem for the monopolies commission. Also I think they would want to rebrand EE under a BT umbrella.

How about BT Cellnet Cheesy Roll eyes Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

x47c
Grafter

Hmm... I heard a bit about this on the news.... first thing that came to mind was......
Monopolies Commission
Surely, this "merger/takeover" whatever, should be investigated by them?

The world is changing
The EU recently unofficially signaled a change in tack in comments by the new Digital commissioner.
Competition has led to reduced prices - yes and unfortunately reduced investment to go with it.
They were hinting at more approvals for mergers, consolidation and possibility some exclusivity to give more long term certainty.
Or in short you want the universal 5G and the 1Gbps hyperfast broadband - then you are going to have to start paying for it supplied from few larger companies with the economies of scale to deliver (and additionally not get taken over by other global competition in the process).