cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is My Broadband Getting Faster?

Community Veteran

Is My Broadband Getting Faster?

Is my ADSL connection getting faster or am I kidding myself?
Over the past few years it seems to have gradually got faster by the odd .1 here and there.
I was wondering as many move to fibre is this a good thing for those on ADSL?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Is My Broadband Getting Faster?

Mine definitely increased once Fibre was taken up locally.  Pre Fibre rollout in the area I got at most 3.5mb, usually closer to 2.7mb.  But since Fibre was enabled during December, my speed has increased in stages to about 5mb in March this year and it spiked to 5.4mb when DLM decided my connection was good enough for Fastpath, but it is usually Interleaved, as it is currently.
But having checked recently the difference between the cost of ADSL and Fibre is £5, so I will be looking at upgrading at end of the month when DIY installs are allowed.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Since fibre arrived in this area My download speed has gradually improved over the past 12 months and is now double what it originally was.
Not sure how accurate the mentioned £5 difference a month is as my estimate was more like £10 a month be interesting for someone from PN to clarify the price difference against the different packages on offer.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well the 80mb unlimited package base price is 19.99 the 40mb unlimited is 14.99
the ADSL up to 20mb service is 9.99, so it depends which option you jump to as to how big the difference is Smiley
*those prices are base prices as advertised last week and don't take into account any discounts*
the older over subscribed ADSL service was horrible in my area and a lot of people including me jumped to FTTC the day it was available, the end result was the ADSL service became less congested and higher bandwidth allowances were granted, one of my neighbours went from an average 5mb speed to almost 10mb within a month of everyone switching to fibre, fibre OTOH has slowly dropped from 79mb at the start to around 65mb now (throughput not sync speed) which just proves something that was said years ago (but denied by the various teclo's) about the main reason for lower than advertised speeds was because the equipment couldn't handle the data transfers so the dslams were capping sync speeds and then at high use times capping throughput so everyone stayed connected but got a lower service standard, that what was needed was new hardware at both the exchange's and the backhaul, incidentally this was partially proven when BT upgraded the backhaul for the southwest many years ago from the 60 pipes to a 600 pipe link and people saw there average throughput double before rampant immigration and barely controlled house building took effect and knocked it all back down to a crawl (my dad still cant stream you tube clips but was prior to the change in contention ratios with 3 new estates being serviced off his exchange he had an 8mb service at peek times) there is still a lot of work to do and hopefully before ADSL is completely phased out in favour of FTTC only connections serious upgrading will be undertaken so we can all get the best out of the connections in our homes (my line can give me a 160mb link but the exchange wont do it unless I pay for a business service....)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Not clear what you are saying here ? If I am currently on ASDL and upgrade to fibre are you saying I can do that for an extra £5 a month ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Market 2 or 3 exchange
ADSL £9.99
FTTC up to 40Mb £14.99
https://portal.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/
nanotm
Pro

if your not in contract then you could ask for the fttc deal price and pick it up for less for the first few months as well, the unlimited 40mb FTTC is currently £3.99 for 6months then 14.99 a month for 12 months
look here for the full deals on offer for those not currently under contract ....http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/
Fixes: 123

Quote from: gleneagles
Since fibre arrived in this area My download speed has gradually improved over the past 12 months and is now double what it originally was.

This has confused me, somewhat. I'm assuming sync speed hasn't changed and that less congestion has allowed for the increase in throughput Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks for the information but just one problem my current contract includes free phone calls anytime but these 2 offers are just for free evening & weekend calls, plus another possible problem phone rental has been paid 12 months in advance so not sure how that would work with my current contract which I understand has ended.
Guess the best bet is to phone PN for that information but whatever it is I wonder if it would be possible to get it in writing any new agreed deal to prevent any misunderstanding.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Once you phone and agree a deal then the details are added to a ticket on your account and you have 14 days to cancel it
When I phoned in I asked about a possible upgrade to fibre (some time late next year if the forecast is accurate) and I was advised that the deal I had on ADSL could be converted to a deal on fibre but with a new contract period starting
Regarding phone I have the LRS with evening and weekend calls included and that continued (I just renewed it on the 22nd - the earliest I could do it)
Although the new contract was for phone and broadband the only bit which was actually changing was the broadband part
nanotm
Pro

email the cots team for that,
what your referring to is the optional extra of anytime calls so I wouldn't let it be a major concern, you can always log into the my account section and add that option to your new contract after taking out the cut price deal (its what I did when changing to fibre) funny thing is I added that and ever since everyone has stopped using the phone .........
Community Veteran

Well I did phone and was told  all deals were for new customers only
@nantom well I am not in contract as the 12 month contract has expired but this dosen't seem to make any difference in my case.
Just out of interest I asked what the position was if I left PN and came back in 6 months time, would I be classed as a new customer, the answer was no because  we would already have you on record as a previous customer.
Looks like I will be on ASDL as long as I am with PN.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

My speeds have moved about over the last 16 months, data shows both my download and upload speeds have increased over the last few months  Cheesy
We have recently downgraded to 40/20 with a £9.99 per month deal over 2 years though!