cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Brexit addling some English political minds?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Is Brexit addling some English political minds?

The comment made by EU's Donald Tusk on the Spain- Gibraltar problem's need fro sorting out early on has dismayed and angered some, understandably. However what Howard an experienced politician and Eurosceptic has said to me is beyond unbelievable. Those made in the Mail reader comments go even beyond that in their stupidity; we could "nuke them".

Are our politicians, we developing addled minds over Bexit? I think we are, and so making enemies of those who should remain our friends even after our departure. Over to you!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Is Brexit addling some English political minds?

Maybe we should remind Spain of Morocco and their claim to Ceuta just across the water from Gibraltar.

If the EU for whatever reason gets behind Spanish claims to the rock a lot of them are going to face some awkward questions and a lot of finger pointing over their own overseas territories.

As for Howard, more that happy to see somebody batting for Britain.

Ceuta_en.png

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

Myself, I don't think reminding any country of what has been taken from it by another is at all sensible. How far back does one go? My mother always said. probably wishfully that her ancestors came over with the Conqueror ( more likely that one of his soldiers strode one of my Saxon ancestorsGrin). Be that as it may, can I justify seeking something from France, or more recently justify the return of Menorca, which we gave Spain.

No!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed not,  but I was only saying in effect that what's sauce for the goose.....

As for being descended from that bar-steward William of Normandy, they themselves were descended from the Vikings (hence Norman from North-men). Maybe England can reclaim back most of France which it once legitimately owned - along with most of the east coast of America? 

It's a funny old world Smiley 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

There has been a lot of talk over the last few days about the open border between Gibraltar and Spain.  If you saw the TV mini-series about Gibraltar a few years ago, you might remember that the border is far from open, and the British, not Spanish, border guards are charged with stopping Spaniards taking too many cheap Gibraltarian cigarettes into Spain.  The cigarette packets were stuffed in any place they could find, including their socks.