cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Access to the Internet a Human Right ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is Access to the Internet a Human Right ?

Is access to the Internet a Human Right ? Before you say of course not you may wish to read Tim Berners-Lee's view on the matter.
http://www.geekosystem.com/internet-human-right/
so is it a Human Right ?
14 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Is Access to the Internet a Human Right ?

No BUT we should have complete privacy and access to EVERYTHING on the web.
Fixes: 125

No idea what he's talking about Undecided
I don't believe access to the internet is a human right.
It's a tool, a means of communication and a method of education and entertainment but no more than that - IMO.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its also handy for paying bills, No more queues In the PO. Smiley
Community Veteran

I have to agree with Mav, what is he talking about Undecided Undecided
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Random one, but I disagree on that. For me, the internet is one of the most important resources we have - how much faster is learning, now so many facts are stored in what's essentially an instantly accessible repository of the knowledge of pretty much the entire human race?
I think the time taken to develop pretty much any technology or product will decrease dramatically simply because information is so much more easily and quickly available. More importantly, people can interact with each other and share that information directly no matter how far away they are (within reason). Not to mention the fact that it's an invaluable catalyst for ideas.
I could go on, suffice to say I think I'm in the right business in that way at least.
/2p
itsme
Grafter

Sorry Matt but you must be young and naive. The internet will not allow technology to be develop any quicker, what hinder development is patents and most patents in the technology field has nothing to do with recouping cost for research but to stop competition.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My problem with the internet is I cannot often tell the difference between fict and faction.
What starts off as a nice piece of original thinking at 08:00 in the morning has often been twisted, distorted, spun and replicated 100 times over and is beyond all recognition of the original by evening and forgotton the next day.
I agree it's good as Steve says, useful for paying bills, and shopping online, but if it was switched off tomorrow I wouldn't miss it, if water, food, power were switch off I would miss them.
As for a human right, I think not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: itsme
Sorry Matt but you must be young and naive. The internet will not allow technology to be develop any quicker, what hinder development is patents and most patents in the technology field has nothing to do with recouping cost for research but to stop competition.

I completely disagree with you and completely agree with Matt.
Imagine being a car designer in Germany and you need to send the plans for the car radio to a company in China. Years ago you might have to send it on a CD via the post or worse in the older days on paper first via the photocopier and then by post. These days every large company has an intranet, a VPN, fileshares etc. Existing companies can get quotes and agree work orders in minutes and they can even advertise for staff online too rather than wait for the local rag to be printed.
Matt is totally right. I'll agree about the point on patents and things but that doesn't stop other points of technological development speeding up.
When I was younger new tech was very slow to develop. Now we've got new IPhones and ipads every year, new TVs, new watches, new computers etc. The rate at which new stuff is coming out as shot up exponentially over the last decade.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: okrzynska
When I was younger new tech was very slow to develop. Now we've got new IPhones and ipads every year, new TVs, new watches, new computers etc.

And much more debt where so many fork out a fortune for every new 'innovation' Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Random one, but I disagree on that. For me, the internet is one of the most important resources we have - how much faster is learning, now so many facts are stored in what's essentially an instantly accessible repository of the knowledge of pretty much the entire human race?

But how can you be sure any particular "fact" is in fact a "fact" and not a fiction
Eg. Wikipedia?
phil4
Grafter

While I agree with Matt, that as a tool it enables more than what has gone before.  And as a benefit to mankind, it benfits more than the problems it causes.
But despite the benefits I do not see it as a human right.   Not just yet.
I'll try and put this as simply as I can.....
While my life as I know it may change, I can easily do without internet access, be that for hours, days or weeks.  I won't suffer because of lack of it.
However, times are changing.  I can't submit my VAT return any way other than online now.  And more things are moving this way.   As services that I'm legally required to use become online only, it moves closer to my idea of a human right.
But those are services that the law forces me to use.  Soon enough there will be services that are required to live, that can only be accessed online.  Then it'll be a human right.
Interestingly I'm one of those people that often feel the word "need" is overused... and that "want" is a much better replacement most of the time.  "required to live" above is my strict use of the phrase, not to be confused with "preferable", or "would like".
itsme
Grafter

Imagine being a car designer in Germany and you need to send the plans for the car radio to a company in China. Years ago you might have to send it on a CD via the post or worse in the older days on paper first via the photocopier and then by post. These days every large company has an intranet, a VPN, fileshares etc. Existing companies can get quotes and agree work orders in minutes and they can even advertise for staff online too rather than wait for the local rag to be printed.

Getting CAD data to a manufacturer overseas is not a problem, the problem is turning the CAD data into a product and the time it take to produce prototypes, test, modify and end up with a finish product.  Yes you can use the internet to send CAD data but airmail is just as good but I would not make a statement that the internet advance technology just because you are sending data by it. The internet is a very good tool to research your market to aid a specification of a  product but a company will never openly discuss any technology designs on the internet.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Think there is a difference here between the Internet as a research resource (looking up possible facts, gaming, online shopping, paying bills).
and various methods of industry being able to communicate. (Data transfer between IT equipment, Technical drawings as an example have been transmitted since the 1960's, earlier than the development of CDs).
itsme
Grafter

Going slightly of topic to patents as some did wind me up as they were not to protect the investment the company had made but to stop competition.
As an example I was involved in the design of various models of a medical devices over a period of 20 years. These devices had to have configuration and calibration parameters which were stored in an internal memory. As the price of memory reduced we decided to move from an internal to an external memory because it had advantages both to the end user and to the company. But we could not place configuration parameters in the external memory as a patent was held be a global player, we could only have calibration parameters. But when we were developing the product we had both as I did not have to have the devices back to reconfigure them and some were in the USA so an added advantage in time saving. So the last thing I did at launch was to move the configuration parameters from the external to the internal memory.
But a couple of years later the global player took the company to court on infringement of 2 patents, one being the memory, we proved that we did not infringe the patent. What was the benefit of this patent, it could not be to protect the investment of the patent holder for development costs. It had disadvantages to the end user as if it was found that a change in configuration parameters improved the accuracy or allowed different samples to be read without the need to replace the device  so savings both to the end user and company.