cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritating TV ads

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Irritating TV ads

Periodically this topic comes up for some interesting comments.

Whilst most TV ads are irritating wastes of time, some are worse than others. Leaving aside those put out for Loreal products (they must be worth it for someoneRoll eyes) Currently top of my list of useless ads are the 118 118 Loan ads.

Current favourite is the shared doughnut Morrisons ad, the guy's expression is an absolute picture, the little girl is a real poppet too.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
34 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Irritaing TV ads

Go Compare   Ticked off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Irritating TV ads

The one that has the lady smelling her hair to intermittent music. 

Drives me nuts Ticked off

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Ads? What ads?Wink

I hardly ever watch TV live, and it's fairly easy to fast-forward recordings. Cheesy

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Since I rarely watch live TV, ALL the ads are a PITA.

Remember many years ago having sky (analog time) and having to watch ADS after I have PAID for the privilege of watching the channel.
Get a "scrubbed" version of the program and see how long it is. A US hour long program is usually about 42-43 min. So 17min of ads.
Community Veteran

Remember many years ago having sky (analog time) and having to watch ADS after I have PAID for the privilege of watching the channel.

Likewise, no TV - no ads.

Am surprised,  never watched sky, do subscribers actually subscribe to watch adverts?, is there no 'opt out option'  (pay extra for zero ads) ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I've just seen a really funny Ad for Flash floor cleaner, can't wait to see it again, as I've no PVR since it died Sad

In fact thanks to Youtube here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIR5dNN7o1w

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Irritating ads - Plusnet's spoon whittler 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Going back to my OP, oddly, the 118 118 ads are even more irritating on SKY channels, they have these particularly daft what I assume to be very large black "pause" vertical bars used in various guises, which I haven't seen on ITV (thankfully) or maybe I've just not been looking at the "right" time.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

The Ads I find most irritating are the ones for quick loans, if you're in the unfortunate position of being short of cash the last thing you need is to have even less cash paying back the silly interest rates these companies charge. I think they should be banned, but for some I appreciate they may well be the only option.

Fixes: 47

And there are people who think the BBC should go commercial Shocked

A relatively safe haven from commercial advertising.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
wildthing666
Grafter

I've just cancelled the TV license 6 days then I change to PN but all adverts are [-Censored-] just look at TV shows 40 years ago they used to run for 48 plus minutes, on ITV now you are lucky to get 40 minutes you get over 20 minutes of adverts the longest thing on the channels that runs adverts used to be a football match 45 minutes without a break now it's the F1 90+ minutes without a break

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav) Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules

Minivanman
Hero

All [-Censored-]?, absolutely not and this one is just brilliant - besides, who can forget the Coca Cola 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing advert from the early 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlMPmT4QY0

True they can be irritating (on purpose perhaps) and go on for to long buy hey, just go and make another cuppa! 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav) Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ads that claim to be better than other things without any actual proof, ads that have percentages of people who "agree" to claims but the numbers of said people are below 100 and the percentages don't actually add up, ads for loans, ads for PPI claims, ads that claim to save you money by buying something expensive that would take several years to start paying off, and of course, adverts for cars, cos modern cars are junk...

I think I may aswell just say, I hate all adverts... Smiley

Though internet adverts are the most irritating, blasting web pages with flash player & Java ads which slows down computers, ads that drop unwanted code onto computers, ads that say one thing but you go to the site and the offer doesn't exist, I'm so glad things like AdBlockers exist, and if people who want to earn money from ads want us to stop using them, then talk to your advert providers who spoil the web browsing experience...

Minivanman
Hero

I wonder if people years back got irritated and annoyed over those swinging, squeaking overhead signs they used to have hanging outside of shops? Just a thought Wink