cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iraq War Inquiry

Community Veteran

Iraq War Inquiry

The inquiry into the Iraq War started today with opening remarks by the chairman, Sir John Chilcot.  His initial remarks suggest it is going to be as open and public as possible.  I wonder if it will be seen as such by the public.  What do we think?
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Iraq War Inquiry

Looks to be very promising Sky News
Public hearings held by the Iraq inquiry will be shown live on television and online, the chairman of the review has said.
Launching the investigation into the conflict, Sir John Chilcot said he wanted as many people as possible to have access to the evidence.
In addition, a website with transcripts of all public hearings will be set up.
It is a complete rejection of Prime Minister Gordon Brown's original plan to hold the hearings behind closed doors.
Also video here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8175138.stm
Community Veteran

Yes, if he conducts the inquiry as he states it will be extremely interesting to see his findings.  I wonder how Blair and Brown will feel about giving evidence in public.  Some very red faces I bet.  Great pity the report won't be published in full until after the general election but I hope we will be able to have a good understanding of it by then as a result of the public hearings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Yes, if he conducts the inquiry as he states it will be extremely interesting to see his findings.  I wonder how Blair and Brown will feel about giving evidence in public.  Some very red faces I bet.

Yes, the important word here is IF I would guess the chances of B&B actually giving evidence in public is not very high. We can expect every legal tactic being put in place to stop that. Not the least of which will probably be "not in the public interest" or "inconsistent with national security" Not to mention that both may simply not make themselves available.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Sir John Chilcot being particularly strong in this enquiry...standby for a standard political whitewash.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Does this remind us of anything
"Franks inquiry slammed as 'whitewash'
   Thatcher: ordered the Franks Inquiry into the Falklands
The Franks inquiry into the Argentine invasion of the Falklands - on which the Prime Minister wants to model the new Iraq inquiry - led, like the Hutton report last week, to widespread accusations of a whitewash.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-207279/Franks-inquiry-slammed-whitewash.html#ixzz0MkgHlqAU
"
Community Veteran

I accept that certain parts will have to be in camera but Chilcot made it clear as much as possible will be in public.  I would like to know for example how Brown and other ministers voted in cabinet.  I can't imagine their answers would compromise national security.
I wasn't too enamored with the appointment of Chilcot when it was announced but his first action in stating the inquiry will be in public, against Brown's wishes, makes me think it might get somewhere.  Many eyes will be on him to produce a report that digs deep.  There will also be a website where the public can comment on the inquiry as it is ongoing.
Community Veteran

@Artmo - I see you didn't respond to my query about just such a similar enquiry about the Falkland war.
You see very quick to criticise the current government ( and as i've told you - i'm not a great fan ) but you don't seem to want to acknowledge that the previous Tory government made equally stupid mistakes - are you proud of John Nott as defence secretary, or Lord Charrington as Foreign secretary - even though unlike many he did the honourable thing and resigned when it went all wrong.
And which government made the blunder of going into Suez ? -
Community Veteran

The Falkland Inquiry was in 2004.  It was not conducted under the previous Tory government as you say but the one before that.  The last Tory government was John Major's.  If mistakes were made in that inquiry it is to be hoped lessons have been learned this time round.  The Hutton Inquiry was under Blair's government and certainly accepted by all reasonable people as a whitewash.  As I said in earlier posts there is an encouraging sign in the statement made today by Chilcot but only time will tell.
I think the public and press will keep a close watch on this inquiry and pressure will be maintained to see it is conducted in a fit manner.
Community Veteran

Did Thatcher, Nott, Chharington all give evidence in public to this enquiry ?

The mistakes were most certainly made by the Thatcher government - the Falklands war was unnecessary and resulted in the death of large numbers of British and Argentine people - Thatchers govermemt was largely to blame for letting the Argentines think we were not interested in the Falklands. And as I said at least Charrington had the honour to accept that and resign.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
Did Thatcher, Nott, Chharington all give evidence in public to this enquiry ?

I have to be honest and say that I don't remember. I do remember Blair did not give evidence at Hutton.  Maybe they weren't asked to do so.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

why not do a google and find out instead of doing a whitewash yourself
Community Veteran

As you may see - I'm asking you to be honest and treat ALL governments the same.
Like you - I don't like Brown - but he is no different to many previous PM's of either Tory, Labour, Liberal, or Wigg.
Just to keep knocking him for party political reasons isn't very constructive. We get far too much of such rubbish in the Commons and especially at PM question times - or as it is called but been eroded over the last 20 to 30 years since I first started watching it.
If you honestly think that Cameron will be any better - then maybe history needs to be remembered. I fail to see how he will be an improvement - given his back-grown or rather lake of of experience.
What is the solution - I honestly don't know - if I did I wouldn't be where I am - I would be in Westminster and making my fortune.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Launching the inquiry he said it would be "as open as possible" with hearings televised and streamed online.
But he said some hearings would be held in private for national security reasons or to allow "more candour".
Sir John said Tony Blair would be among those asked to give evidence and said he did not expect anyone to refuse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8175138.stm
Community Veteran

I don't know if Cameron will do a better job and neither do you.  Personally I don't think he could do worse.  What experience did Blair or Brown have 12 years ago to run the country?  I felt that David Davis would have made a better Tory leader but that's water under the bridge now.
PP - no whitewash I genuinely can't remember back that far.  Perhaps you can tell us were they asked to give evidence to Franks?
Community Veteran

That's the big problem - so many people cannot remember ( or don't want to ) what an appalling job the Major and Thatcher  governments made of a lot of policy areas. And the tragedy is that a lot of young people who are too young to know - aren't taught it or care to read about it.
Your blind faith in Cameron and the present Tory party is interesting - but as we seem destined to get them as government - please remember in 5 or 10 years what we have been saying.
Alternatively - how do we campaign for something different from a swing from Tory to labour and back again in cycles with the resultant huge damage to Britain's economy and reputation.