cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iran plane crash

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Iran plane crash

Do we have a mathematical genius here to work out the actual odds of a plane coming down, in that part of the world, by an airliner from a country that happens to be friendly with a country that the one it was flying by was unhappy with, on a night when missiles were being launched at the same kind of hour they were actually launched.

I am all for coincidence and believing in coincidence, but I will be honest I would be shocked if winning the Euro millions 50 times over had worse odd's than all of the above aligning themselves just perfectly by sheer coincidence lol.
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Jonpe wrote: Air travel is only as safe as it is because the industry is constantly learning from accidents.  Should it not be enshrined in international law that the black box data be released to the manufacturers?  Or Boeing, Airbus etc. could just make it part of the contract of sale. 

I can only agree and, in a normal world, it probably would be.

But unfortunately that (USA led) trade restriction / embargo works both ways. Why would an Iranian help an American plane builder? At the end of the day, given the current situation, the Iranians wouldn't be allowed to buy it. Case of why should I help you when I get no material return i.e. scratch my back...........

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

... Why would an Iranian help an American plane builder? At the end of the day, given the current situation, the Iranians wouldn't be allowed to buy it. Case of why should I help you when I get no material return i.e. scratch my back...........

Or to paraphrase that old saying "Never trust an Arab", perhaps that would in fact be "You scratch my back and I'll stab yours".

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

The news media now seem to be convinced that this was a missile,  but it was only a few miles from the airport and not at a high altitude,  amybe Iranian missile operators were spooked and thought it was a enemy plane or cruise missile..

If not a missile maybe a bomb on board,  it all happened too quickly to be an engine or mechaical failure..

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/09/trump-says-he-has-doesnt-believe-the-boeing-plane-crash-in-iran-was-...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

Why would an Iranian help an American plane builder? At the end of the day, given the current situation,

Because if there is something wrong with those aircraft that needs to be put right, the lives of Iranians are as much at stake as those of people of other nationalities.  Should their refusal to release the black boxes be taken as an admission that the accident was caused by a stray missile, bomb etc.?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe wrote:

Because if there is something wrong with those aircraft that needs to be put right, the lives of Iranians are as much at stake as those of people of other nationalities.  Should their refusal to release the black boxes be taken as an admission that the accident was caused by a stray missile, bomb etc.?

Not forgetting of course that the Iranian government places little or no value on human life, whatever their nationality, and are very willing to kill large numbers of their own citizens.

e.g.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Iranian_protests

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Jonpe wrote: Because if there is something wrong with those aircraft that needs to be put right

As I wrote earlier I can only agree.

However:-  An NTSB spokesperson said it remains to be seen what role the organization will play in the crash investigation. "Our role is defined by ICAO Annex 13, but long-standing country embargoes make executing that role challenging, as do other conditions," the official told Newsweek, adding that they are not in touch with their Iranian counterparts.

As to your other question. I couldn't tell you as I don't know what caused the flight to come down. Hard facts are what is wanted, not maybe, could be. The truth always outs....sooner or later.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@RobPN wrote:

Or to paraphrase that old saying "Never trust an Arab", perhaps that would in fact be "You scratch my back and I'll stab yours".

Reminds me of a Monty Python song... 😂

(Contains language that at the time of recording was considered "acceptable", which today is triggering many people to plop their pants at the mere thought of such things being said or the words even having existed)

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

The belief that the plane was accidentally brought down by a Surface to Air Missile seems to be firming up internationally.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

How long before the "accidentally" part is in doubt ?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

methinks " accidentally" is diplomatic speak for ... we know you did it, but you are not going to goad us into retaliating.....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Almost literally Iran seems to have shot itself in the foot. 

Inevitable in times of conflict I suppose.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

However:-  An NTSB spokesperson said it remains to be seen what role the organization will play in the crash investigation.

I would have thought Boeing would have an interest in establishing the truth, especially bearing in mind their recent problems with the 737 MAX 8, which in leaked internal communications was described as "designed by clowns".

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

The Iranians are busy clearing the crash site and the flight recorders will mysteriously go missing.

Oh dear, how cynical I am.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The Iranians have admitted to shooting down the plane 'unintentionally'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-5107362

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed.