cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipod car charger

Community Veteran

Ipod car charger

I've been considering getting an Ipod charger that goes in the 12V outlet in the car, but my son pointed out that I already have a 12V connector that you plug a USB lead into, so couldn't I just use that and plug the Ipod straight into it?
The connector say its output is 5V 0.5A max.
Does anyone know if this would work?
John
3 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Ipod car charger

the 0.5 amp might be a problem on some 12v adaptors, or you could go to tesco et al and get a universal phone apaptor, mine came with a mains and cigar adapter that has a usb socket , and extension lead with plugs for my mobiles etc, use that for running a lot of things that take 5V to charge
itsme
Grafter

The 5v 0.5A is to conform to the USB 2.0 specification.
he USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines. For USB 2.0 the voltage supplied by low-powered hub ports is 4.4 V to 5.25 V.[32]
A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw at most 1 unit load, with minimum operating voltage of 4.4 V in USB 2.0, and 4 V in USB 3.0. High-power devices draw the maximum number of unit loads supported by the standard. All devices default as low-power but the device's software may request high-power as long as the power is available on the providing bus.

So no problem charging USB compliant devices which ipod's are.
Community Veteran

Sounds good  Smiley
John