Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation from a 'neighbour'

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Invitation from a 'neighbour'

unstamped with a smiley face dropped through the door a day or so ago. Oh sheer delight! It could have been someone in our little Sackgasse inviting us to a celebration. BUT no, it was someone from a small town  six miles distant, who'd visit us to advise about an energy discount scheme.Roll_eyes I'm pondering over the greeting I shall give her, specially if she doesn't bring a good bottle of wine- nothing under £20.Crazy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
10 REPLIES 10
Minesapint
Pro

Re: Invitation from a 'neighbour'

Afraid I'd just "advise" them not to come to my house, wine or not.

Luzern
Hero

I wasn't intending to invite that twitess. She was inviting herself. Don't take me as so dim.

I had an intolerably window salsman once, who was always phoning for an appointment, though I had said not more than once. I dealt with that by inviting him round for a very late meeting, claiming my hours limited, when we could meet. His arrival was met by a telling off for the insistent calls, and that I was pleased he'd wasted his time,as he had wasted mine.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

I don`t often get "cold callers " at the front door...maybe the word has got around.....

(door bell rings)

Open front door.... see someone  there with a necklace type I.d. card being thrustforward, but unable toread..

Voice says.... "hello, I`m... xxxxxx ... ... from..... xxxxx ....

I say  ... " So... ?   "  

and shut the door before they get the chance to consider.....

Rude ?  Yup.... they are rude enough to disturb me...  so why not  ? ? ? 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Luzern 

O ye, of little faith, there are plenty of nice wines for well under £20.

Go by price and you'll be down that dead end of yours and up a gum tree without a corkscrew. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Luzern wrote:

I had an intolerably window salsman once, ...

That reminds me of my own experience with one of those many years ago.

Admittedly, having been impressed by the companys bespoke-framed windows fitted at the house of someone we knew, I'd arranged for a visit with the intention of getting a quote for a similar product.  At that time, although I'd no previous experience of the hard-sell tactics employed by these people I'd heard the stories.

After several hours of discussion, the price gradually dropping, and me trying to get rid of him without being rude (after all we liked the windows), saying we'll think about it and call you and that being met by the old fib "this price is only good if you sign now", I decided the best thing would be to sign an agreement and call the next day to cancel (if we so decided after thinking about it some more).  That was in the days when (some) salesmen didn't advise you of your consumer rights of cancellation etc., and he certainly didn't mention anything. 

Pretty much as soon as the agreement was signed he came out with something like "Oh by the way, we're running a promotion at the moment and I've got a case of wine for you in the boot of my car".

I gave him a hand to remove his small demonstration window and other items.to his car, and sure enough he presented me with an opened mixed case of 12 bottles (containing 11), with the explanation one bottle got broken - strangely there was no wine-staining on the box. Roll_eyes  I guess that's what you call a 'Window-salesmans dozen'  Cheesy

Anyway, having thought a bit more about the signed agreement, I called the companys office the next day and cancelled.  There was no mention of returning the wine and I justified keeping it as compensation for listening to 2-3 hours worth of hard sell.  Wink

Minesapint
Pro

@Luzern 

I didn't "take" you as anything. 

Just pointing out that I won't have anything to do with any of them at all.

If they come round here uninvited they get very short shrift. 

They don't get invited at all. Anyone who says "We'll send a salesman round" has just lost the job. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Faced with one of these pests who on opening the door said, ' I am pleased to say you have won a prize'

My reply before closing the door, ' It's your lucky day you can have it'

I always found it funny that some salesmen were daft to be phoning with a offer, often shares in some unheard of company or similar scheme that could make you thousands of pounds.....if it so good why were they spending their time on the phone instead of investing themselves and enjoying the proceeds.....

If I have the time I find the ones selling religion the best...you can guess the type of questions I ask....

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Luzern
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

O ye, of little faith, there are plenty of nice wines for well under £20.

Go by price and you'll be down that dead end of yours and up a gum tree without a corkscrew. Smiley

@Minivanman Is that corkscrew for tapping gum? £20 wine is for her to pay for the privilege of climbing my steps, not for drinking it. I have the capabilities.;D

Jonpe
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

I always found it funny that some salesmen were daft to be phoning with a offer, often shares in some unheard of company or similar scheme that could make you thousands of pounds....if it so good why were they spending their time on the phone instead of investing themselves and enjoying the proceeds.....

And the ones advertising systems guaranteed to win the Lottery (and previously the Football Pools).  If I knew how to make even a modest profit on the lottery, I would keep it to myself.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

And the ones advertising systems guaranteed to win the Lottery (and previously the Football Pools).  If I knew how to make even a modest profit on the lottery, I would keep it to myself.

If they have a sure-fire system for winning the lottery why aren't they on a beach in the Bahamas sipping a nice cold drink ?  Anyone who sells books and schemes that make you a sure fire winner need to answer the question - if your scheme is so good why are you still working for a living ?