cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation for swine flu vaccination

jmd
Grafter

Invitation for swine flu vaccination

I have had the regular flu jab for a number of years but now have been invited to go for an open session my GP Practice is holding for a swine flu jab.  Has anyone had this and did they have any side affects?
40 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Invitation for swine flu vaccination

Haven't had it, but we won't be letting our little ones have it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

Never had the flu Jab - can't imagine I ever will.
I still think that our own immune system will deal with it better than the vaccination.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

the two of had it, only side effect was sore arms for a few days
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
I still think that our own immune system will deal with it better than the vaccination.

Seconded Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could say, tell that to the people who have died Cry
Fixes: 125

Possible the elderly and other vunerable people could/would benefit from it but, for the rest of us, allowing our own bodies to fight off viral and other infections where possible is far better, in my opnion but I am not a doctor.
There seems to be a growing concensus that antibiotics (obviously no use for flu) have been overused and now are becoming less effective.
Basically I believe our bodies need illness to stave off illness - if that makes sense  Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/04April/pages/swineflulatest.aspx
Cases down from 46000 to 22000 - panic indeed  Crazy
Community Veteran

Swine flu isn't a worry to the older ones in the population and won't be given the vaccine unless you are suffering from certain medical conditions. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes I have had it. Mrs Petlew was on the at high risk group due to her very low resistance to anything. I was advised to have it as her carer and, also due to the hundreds of school kids I drive around, who are apparently at high risk.
I had a slight cold when the jab was administered, which developed into mild flu, bronchitis and my annual hacking cough which has lasted twice as long as usual. Of course none of this may be attributable to the Swine Flu jab, but it is very coincidental.
Mrs Petlew has remained free of any symptoms other than an aching arm for a few days after (the one in which the jab was injected) with which I empathise, it was uncomfortable for several days.
Otherwise, with the passing of the above (still have a slight cough) have not experienced any other ill-effects. Oh yes, had the annual flu jab earlier this year, for much the same reasons, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not quiet sure what Jim meant about Panic, or what his figures meant, I read the article to mean that because over a million had the jab the cases had fallen by that amount, doesnt sound like panic to me, but congratulating the jab  on doing a good job.   And as I  said before over 200 have already died in the UK
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Population of UK 61 million - that leaves an awful lot who weren't vaccinated and haven't got it.
Remember the apocalyptic predictions
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain
Minimum of 3,100 deaths expected, says Britain's chief medical officer, as official toll reaches 29

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/5723627/Cases-of-swine-flu-could-top-100000-a-day-by-Aug...
New cases of swine flu could top more than 100,000 a day by the end of August, ministers have warned, as they admitted they can no longer contain the spread of the virus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/ferguswalsh/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Slightly off topic but I heard recently that the swine flu virus has been seen adapting to tamiflu recently. Thats a worrying thing to hear about. Although frankly I never understood the fuss about tamiflu as it is not a cure anyway.
On the topic of the jab it self I don't know anyone who has been invited to have the jab and I don't think I'd have it myself tbh.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Yes I have had it. Mrs Petlew was on the at high risk group due to her very low resistance to anything. I was advised to have it as her carer and, also due to the hundreds of school kids I drive around, who are apparently at high risk.

Yes, apart from anyone in the high risk category the older you are the less likely you are to contract swine flu.  This is the reverse situation to the normal seasonal flu.  Children are particularly at risk to swine flu.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and you wont get the invite if old and not in that category.  The wife had Heart failure and a tripple pacemaker (ICD), I have Blood pressure and type 2 diabetis, so we both got it