cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor of TV remote control dies

Fixes: 125

Inventor of TV remote control dies

TV remote control inventor Eugene Polley dies at 96
His 1955 invention, Flash-Matic, pointed a beam of light at photo cells on each corner of the TV, turning it off and on and changing the channels.

I never before know who invented the TV remote but my hat comes off to him.
Oh, the days of having to get off the chair to press Button B Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Inventor of TV remote control dies

To think it only really became widespread in the 80's yet was around for longer than that! Must be said it's certainly a great invention!
What a legend (along with Rod Hull!)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Remember the "remote" that was connected via a cable? with just a channel change button...but then it only needed 4 clicks to span the entire spectrum.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

My third remote control worked by 40khz ultrasonics.
(Sub harmonics ? drove the dog nuts)
Picking up or Jangling keys changed channels !
My first remote .... a long stick !
My second remote .... my girlfriend, later my wife !

Look at your current remote led when a key is pressed, through a digital camera lens / display !!!!!
My previous TV, the remote receiver was useless whilst CFL energy saving lights warmed up.
Switch TV on, select channel & volume, then turn lights on.

With my SKY remote, I can change channels from another room, by bouncing IR off 3 walls, and through 2 open doors.
Just have to get the angle right. SKY box feeds 2 rooms, bedroom and Study.
Amazing technology advance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Petlew
Remember the "remote" that was connected via a cable? with just a channel change button...but then it only needed 4 clicks to span the entire spectrum.

I remember having an old TV with a wired remote...... it consisted of a tobacco tin, 4 "cermit" ( I think) pre-set potentiometers, and 4 miniature switches in a line on the lid.....you could tune the channels by the potentiometers, and change them with the switches,....... so long as only 1 out of the 4 were in the "on" postion.....
( home brew..... but not by me ! ! )
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
Look at your current remote led when a key is pressed, through a digital camera lens / display !!!!!

Hold it near an untuned AM radio and get sound too !
Not young enough to know everything
snozboz
Grafter

Great invention. Shame the user interface hasn't been standardised and made easier - every TV, DVD/blu-ray, or similar device works differently, has a different layout of remote control, and is not intuitive to operate.  And yet everyone knows how to work a telephone, calculator, QWERTY keyboard etc because the interfaces are easy and standard.
Infinity
Pro

All of my remotes, TV's, PVR's etc, with the exception of two, have Volume Up / Down on the left, and Prog (page) Up / Down on the right.
That's two out of ten ! (The same PVR in 2 rooms)
The number of times I do the opposite on this one remote is annoying.
And no, I don't like All-in-One combination remote controls with several items on one remote.
My stuff has far too many specific functions, which I use, for this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and what right has Mav to report on a death Cheesy Grin Crazy

Not all remotes work on a LED contact, some use Radio frequencies around corners and from another room
Community Veteran

saw an advert for TV's with motion detectors and voice control, You are the remote.  Wonder what happens during a bad bout of sneezing
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When will 'remote controllers' be incorporated into smart phones, seems this is the next technological step.
(Apart from smart phone with mini USB ports allowing the 'plug-in' of external disk drive, Keyboard, Mouse and external monitor)
Infinity
Pro

I think I've already seen that somewhere, as a TV remote.
(found a couple + 1)
http://www.samsung.com/uk/article/turn-your-tv-on-to-a-galaxy-of-remote-possibilities
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20074215-260/turning-your-smartphone-into-a-smarter-tv-remote/

And a child's toy car, etc controller. (For Adults too !)
Community Veteran

Quote from: snozboz
Great invention. Shame the user interface hasn't been standardised and made easier - every TV, DVD/blu-ray, or similar device works differently, has a different layout of remote control, and is not intuitive to operate.  And yet everyone knows how to work a telephone, calculator, QWERTY keyboard etc because the interfaces are easy and standard.

Rubbish!
Every remote control I've had with numbers has started with the number 1 at the top left and the number 9 at the bottom right. It's the calculator that has never conformed with the number 1 at the bottom left and 9 and the top right  Wink
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Sprite
It's the calculator that has never conformed with the number 1 at the bottom left and 9 and the top right  Wink

I know, just doesn't add up, does it Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Lol  Cheesy
I'll certainly take away a laugh from that!