cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invasion by Travellers

annerimmington
Grafter

Invasion by Travellers

Our once quiet little half acre of common land - a haven where dog owners could exercise their dogs - has been invaded by travellers - 10 caravans and counting.    The council have even provided them with chemical toilets and skips for their rubbish (courtesy of us, the ratepayers)  Not that they are bothering to use them...........no, they prefer throwing their rubbish around the area, and defacating in broad daylight on the path bordering the green in full view of passing pedestrians Angry Shocked  They let their numerous dogs run wild, intimidating people who walk past, snapping at their heels.  You can tell how much of a problem it is around the Leeds area - the countil even have a designated "travellers hotline".    Needless to say, this hotline has indeed been "hot" with our complaints, and our local councillors have been emailed.    I won`t hold my breath for getting them moved on any time soon though  Angry
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Invasion by Travellers

I Don't know the answer other than to suggest we all club together and buy some farmland (I think it's about £3,000) an Acre.
We could pick a spot somewhere nice down south near a small village to be near facilities and then move a number of cheap caravans there, after all we would be travellers as we had travelled from where we live to our site !
If everybody did this the Government would soon get the message but as things stand politicians are not prepared to do anything that might affect Human Rights of those who break the Law.
Watch this space, a travellers site will be coming to your area soon !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There are two sides to this. If you travel along the M25 northbound just past J20 you will pass under a road bridge (Bedmond Road) if you were to glance up to the top of the very high embankment, there is a length of that sound-proofing fencing used when widening works is being done. On the other side of that fence is a small travellers site that  is completely self-contained with massive entry gates, CCTV etc.
In terms of straight line distance it is about a mile and a half from where I live. It is by all accounts run like clockwork, with residents who are seriously vetted before being allowed in and, I am told are pillars of the local community.
I fully understand this is a rare case.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I must say whenever I have seen a site that was occupied by gypsies that have been moved on it has been left in a disgusting state.
Community Veteran

I Might be wrong but I think councils may be under some form of ?legal obligation to make provision for travellers.
This is of course completely different to illegal sites that have been set up by travellers.
I Wonder what the position is regarding travellers setting up sites in other EU countries ? How do they respond to this issue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

There are good and bad, these sites are on the side ot the Kelvedon Road in Tiptree, dont know anything about the occupiers or the planning consent.
Came past it Yesterday and one of the plots had acquired two more giant vans
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tiptree&ll=51.81973,0.739997&spn=0.000642,0.001558&oe=utf-8&client=f...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I used to work next door to that Kelvedon Road site and walked past those gates every lunch time for about four years.
The place always appeared to be kept in good order and the occupiers kept to themselves and were no trouble to anyone.
Occasionally they would have miniature horses grazing at the side of the road which made an interesting change to a particularly dull place to walk.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I am of the opinion, that local  County Councils, do have a legal responsibility to provide a recognised "travellers site"... for the use of genuine, travelling gypsies/romany peoples. and rightly so, in my opinion.... however, it is the Illegal sites that the local councils have to deal with, from the time they arrive, to the time they leave... all at a cost to the local council tax payers.. which is totally unfair...  Unfortunately, the authorities, councils, police, etc,. have so many rules and regs to comply with, that they get the runaround from the "travellers" who also know the rules and regs, and take them to the limits of reason, thus getting away with it... The police cannot act, without lawful reason, and just "suspecting" they are "up to no good" is not sufficient to move them on,... and with the cutback on the number of police on the front line, the "travellers" know that there is strength in numbers.... (and reputation)
annerimmington
Grafter

Update on our invasion.  Two local residents next to the site have had to move out due to stress and noise.....................the travellers were begging at their door for water, kept them awake half the night with their generators, police were called when a bare knuckle fight broke out that threatened to get out of hand.  They have damaged and knocked out a street lamp, a man walking past the site was attacked and injured by one of their out of control dogs.  They are not using the portable toilets paid for by the ratepayer but instead prefer to defacate on the footpath in broad daylight  Shocked  Thankfully the council have gone to court to apply for an immediate injunction to evict them but have had their case adjourned to allow the travellers to apply for legal aid to fight the ban Roll eyes      Watch this space...............
Community Veteran

In central Essex there was a problem at Dale Farm last year.  It cost the local council upwards of £20m to clear the site but the gypsies seem to be moving back again. 
This is what happened then:
Dale Farm
I feel sorry for you with your problem and hope there is a swift solution.
Steve
Pro

I will give It 5 days max before they are moved on.
Community Veteran

Why do you recon it will take no more than 5 days as it took over 5 years for the Dale Farm travellers to be moved on, or at least moved on to the road just outside Dale Farm.