cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet under Threat

gordo
Grafter

Internet under Threat

I am not sure if anybody has highlighted this before, if so it can be deleted. But I feel that it is important enough to duplicate anyways.

The European Parliament is due to make a ruling soon. It will make your
Internet Service Provider (ISP) limit what you can and cannot see on the
internet.

Each ISP will ask you to choose your favourite kinds of website; it will
also block you from downloading music, films and "free" software.
The way it is proposed to work is by selling "packages" like Sky and Virgin
do with the television packages. In effect, you will not be allowed to look
at pages about music one minute and internet shopping the next; unless you
buy two packages.

It is going to restrict research for children to do their homework;
journalists will be unable to research, and university undergraduates will
be limited in what they do.
You can try to stop this by writing to your M.E.P. and telling him to vote
against it. Doing nothing will allow the law to be passed; and once it is
in, there will be no way back.
To find out more and the things we can do please visit.
http://blackouteurope.eu/
21 REPLIES
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Re: Internet under Threat

"Just think - what's your web address? Unless people have that address in their "package" of regular websites - they won't be able to find you"
I'm sceptical all this will happen, in fact im going to as far and say its nonsense! (In my opinion)
Im sure there are more knowlegable people following soon........
Lurker
Grafter

My instant reaction is that its either made up, or its something that polititians have dreamt up.
The very least you can say is that it can only have been proposed by somebody who has absolutely no idea what the internet is, how it works, or why such a thing would be as good as impossible.
gordo
Grafter

Believe me this is a real threat, I have already been contacted back by three MEPs, two who are standing against such a move, and one tory who welcomes the restrictions it will put on.= and the more control it will give over the Internet.  I am sorry but I cannot copy the contents of the of the emails and telephone calls.
Brussels never sleeps and I wonder what next will spew out of it guts.
Lurker
Grafter

The only info I've managed to unearth on this is the site you linked to.
There is nothing on the official site about an upcoming vote on such a thing (not that I can find anyway).
craigyoung
Grafter

Looks like an April Fool which has taken a while to come around.  MEPs believing something is hardly a guarantee it's real.  Anyone remember Brass Eye's CAKE campaign?
gordo
Grafter

It is real, here is first few lines of one e-mail, does that clarify the reality of this
Dear Mr Eagling,

Thank you for your email expressing your concerns about the Telecoms Package.
My colleague Malcolm Harbour is the "rapporteur" of the Universal Service and Users´ Rights report, and he has been striving to boost the consumer provisions to ensure there are as many benefits as possible for electronic communications services users in Europe, and to ensure that the key principles of openness and quality of service are maintained.

Many of the amendments he has tabled boost transparency so that consumers will be able to make informed decisions about which services they would like to use. This would mean that if Internet Service operators decide to restrict access to certain services (which is the current situation, for example, where Skype is currently blocked on some mobile phones), the consumer could then decide not to use that service provider and opt for another one, which does provide Skype.
Kind regards,
Geoffrey Van Orden MEP
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Are you referring to http://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/news_analysis/114165/Parliament_passes_EU_Telecoms_Package.html?
(September 200Cool
Similar - but different.....

craigyoung
Grafter

Phew!  So you mean I can still shop at Ocado?  Grin
gordo
Grafter

from my limited understanding that is part of it,  one MEP who rang me said there was more to be added and more voting to be done on the subject.  
Community Veteran

Quote from: gordo
This would mean that if Internet Service operators decide to restrict access to certain services (which is the current situation, for example, where Skype is currently blocked on some mobile phones), the consumer could then decide not to use that service provider and opt for another one, which does provide Skype.

This is more to do with 'restrictive business practices'  than anything else.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I think if this was a serious idea, we would all have to move to China to get an enhanced access to web sites. Grin

Lurker
Grafter

So nobody managed to unearth any actual evidence of this yet, other than the site linked to above?
I did spend a little more time investigating yesterday, and didn't manage to find anything obvious, which I guess means that its either a hoax, or the content of future debates/votes are not published.
craigyoung
Grafter

It's all a mix of rumours, hoaxes and misreporting.  The blackout europe site effecitvely proposes the equivalent of you walking down the stree, about to go into Boots and someone saying - 'sorry mate, you've got to pay if you want to go into that shop'.  Not the most likely scenario I've ever heard of.  And good luck to the bloke who hase to categorise every site on the web into shopping, music and films!
I've found a solution however, in case it does become true.  I'm going to stay logged in to every site on the web so when they start demanding entry fees, I'll already be in!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Presumably, the originators of this idea, have had detailed discussions with ALL th THOUSANDS of ISP`s in the WORLD, leading to further discussions regarding the legal contracts the ISP`s have with their paying customers, as to how the contract will have to be re-written, and encompassed in the local country statute books.,
If this is the case, then I think that PlusNet will already have advanced information regarding this proposed change to their operation, and the accountablility to the EU parliament.. Including any penalties they will incur, if they do not comply.
Regarding the above, I am hereby formally requesting PlusNet to respond to this posting, and clarify to us the customer, if this is  fact or fiction.