cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet safety

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Internet safety

I have software installed that denotes whether web sites are safe to visit.
I received an email from Plus Net today extolling their own virtues and
announcing what wonderful folk they are and how many prestigious
awards they have "won" this year.There are numerous orange circles
next to all the sub-headings on the email and when I hover over the latter
I get a warning that the website "PlusNet" has a low trustworthy rating.
Why is this?
10 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Internet safety

First question  - what is this software?  I think it's giving you false info - there's nothing I've found on the PN site in the 4 or 5 years I've been using it to justify that.
John
Steve
Pro

I suspect the op is using WOT...https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/
It started out good but its not worth the ram is uses now.
jab1
Seasoned Pro

Cheers Steve. You're probably right, 'cos I've heard the same. We won't know, though until the OP comes back.
Personally, I just use common sense, but I suppose some people either don't know enough, or just want someone to blame if they go to the 'wrong' sites. (Not aimed at the OP, just a general observation)
John
chuffchuff
Rising Star

Yes, it is WOT!
What other software would you use instead of WOT?
chuffchuff
Rising Star

Quote from: jab1
Cheers Steve. You're probably right, 'cos I've heard the same. We won't know, though until the OP comes back.
Personally, I just use common sense, but I suppose some people either don't know enough, or just want someone to blame if they go to the 'wrong' sites. (Not aimed at the OP, just a general observation)

Well, I am glad that's cleared up then!
Thank you for the helpful advice.
I am a little unclear as to why I (or some people) can be held responsible for software written by other folk sends me a warning about unsolicited mail sent to me
that could potentially harm my computer.
You are absolutely correct, I don't know enough, which was why I asked a question.
jab1
Seasoned Pro

Sorry if it came across that way. All I was saying was that so long as you knew without doubt that the email was from PlusNet, then the chances were that the program telling you it was suspect is suspect/defective in some way.
PlusNet - or any other legitimate organisation - would not send you a 'dangerous' email, it would reflect badly on them and harm their business.
I don't quite get the bit about 'software written by other folks................................................... harm my computer', but maybe we are not both on the same wavelength.
Again, apologies if you think I'm getting at you, that was not my intention.
John
Steve
Pro

Quote from: chuffchuff
Yes, it is WOT!
I wouldn't use any. None of them are 100% accurate and none of them stop anyone from infecting their machine but WOT really has went down the pan I know that.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chuffchuff
Yes, it is WOT!

personally I installed the free copy of mcafee on all the systems in my house that comes with site advisor which is decent at pointing to problem zones, also like anything the more people who use it and ask for websites to be checked for safety the better it gets (only confirmed threat vectors trigger the "whoa are you sure about that" anywhere else is either green or gray, gray means they have no data green means its been checked in and is confirmed safe...
but like anything your choice of option is up to you, unlike jab1 I know full well that any search link can be dodgy when looking things up so despite best intentions you can end up with your pc infected no matter how much you know
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
jab1
Seasoned Pro

nanotm - thanks for your comments  Crazy. I know very well that any search links can be dodgy - I've had a PC for close on 30 years so I know what can happen.
Either I've been very lucky, or careful - I don't think I've had more than half a dozen (non-serious) infections in all that time, and in my younger days I used to visit some 'questionable' sites.
Mcafee is probably a better option than WOT, but I don't want to comment as I have never had either on my systems.
John
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

ive personally had several infections before I started using the full MacAfee security suite package (which encourages safer web surfing but doesn't prevent you from deliberately doing dodgy things) but since I started using it I haven't had a single one on my pc, the kids deliberately ignore the site advisor on a daily basis and constantly disable the anti virus (because it does slow down their laptops) so I have to regularly re-image their systems back to the default to clean up all the infections they pick up....in the end I started to just blacklist various websites and prevent them using them /
no matter how many times I talk to them about it this remains a problem but noobs will be noobs....

as a general rule the macfee stuff is decent and yes i'm aware its not perfect (nothing is) and has on 3 occasions in the past totally borked pc's but I would say it being free and far superior to MSE (as well as having a noob friendly GUI) makes it well worth using alongside regular backups of your system.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you