Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet purchase

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Internet purchase

Hi,
Looking for advice. I recently ordered an item from a website but got a message to say the item was no longer in stock and my money would be refunded (paid by credit card) However 3 working days later my money has not been refunded. I Have no reason to believe the site is a scam (the usual padlock and htpps came up) but if I don't get a refund has anyone any ideas how I might tackle this problem or am I on a hiding to nothing ?
I Have just sent them an e-mail reminding them about the refund but would be interested to know if anyone else has had this kind of problem and what action if any they took to recover money.
Thanks
14 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Internet purchase

Just contact your card company, and they will sort out the refund.
They will also sort out collecting the money back from the site - its one of the benefits of paying for things by credit card.
Cheers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If a credit card then get on the the card company asap.  That's the reason I use paypal for sites that have it and if the first time using the site and don't know if to trust them.  Paypal have a good refund policy as long as you prove you took measures to get it your self, I have used the refund option from them twice and got it both times.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
techguy
Grafter

I always use a credit card on the Internet so I'm covered.

I bought a PC and high spec monitor a couple of years ago, when the system arrived I was expected to unpack and check it for damage and report any problems within 24 hours.
Unfortunately the monitor was dead on arrival so I rang and reported this and asked about the exchange, they replied they need the monitor back and then they will dispatch a new one as opposed to a straight swap so I asked for a refund for the monitor and went out and bought one.
Courier came and picked up the monitor and I left it a couple of days then rang the company and was told they had received the dead monitor and my refund would go back on my card in 28 days.
Left it about 45 and still no refund, so rang back and went through to the accounts department and was told they had far more important things than my refund.
So rang the card company and was put through to department which chases refunds from companies and was told to tell the company I would hand the issue over to the card firm if the refund was not forthcoming and to send them all the documentation if it did not appear back on the account within the next 7 days.
Rang company back and told them, this must have placed a rocket under a chair somewhere as had the refund back within 3 days.
Community Veteran

I think you might just need to wait a little longer - I always find that refunds from sites take a few days to appear/clear in my account.
itsme
Grafter

Have noticed that crediting a CC takes longer than debiting. So may be worth waiting another day or two.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a  firm not far from here is taking a long time to get the money back to my bank
techguy
Grafter

I understand it takes around 3 days for Visa and Mastercard.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

statement 1 Feb, back in bank no
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quite a few reputable businesses take up to a week to credit the card and then the three days is on top.
Scan is an example of this - it takes 3 to 5 days to process a refund (don't ask me why when Amazon can do it immediately)
Fixes: 125

Bear in mind that the credit card purchase should be at least £100.01 and less than £30,000.01 to come under Sention 75 of the Consumer Act.
This states that the credit card company is jointly responsible with the supplier if the goods are faulty or mis-described.
Also, you cannot aggregate the price of individual items. If the monitor was only £99 even though the total purchase was, say, £500, the credit card company does not have to do anything. Apparently, some will still help anyway.
Edit: Go back to the website and check for a proper address for contact and write to them by registered post informing them that you are giving them 7 days to refund your money or you will take them to the small claims court. That may spur them on. You can always report the company to your local Trading Standards. But the above should only be tried if you've exhausted all other avenues.
Good luck.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The sum of money involved was £43 and Paid using a Mastercard  from the replies so far I understand the sum has to be above £100 to obtain a refund from Mastercard.
I am unclear about the court action suggested, has anyone ever done this, and if so what did it cost and did it involve a lot of work?
At present I will do nothing until 10 working days has passed before doing anything as it has been suggested refunds can take some time, although it is annoying when a website states it has something in stock, takes your money and then tells you it does not have the item and will be getting no more.
techguy
Grafter

I'd talk to your card issuer in the first instance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Put in the name of the internet company in the google search box, and add                      reviews....e.g.  internet trading company reviews  press the go button and see if there are any feedback results.....
If they are generally good then you should try to "keep faith".... however, if they are generally "bad" then do your utmost to get the refund, via any and all, means possible..... then go back to the site, and add your own version of events...  If contacting them via email it may help to mention you have seen the reviews on such and such a site, and if they don`t want more bad reviews, then they had better buck up ! ! !
Good luck.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: gleneagles
I am unclear about the court action suggested, has anyone ever done this, and if so what did it cost and did it involve a lot of work?

I have not taken court action personally but you can read more on the On Her Majesty's Court Service site. I think the fee is £30 and, I am not absolutely sure, but think you can claim this back - someone with experience may be able to advise you on this. For the sum you are talking about it can all be done on-line AFAIK.
Apparently just hearing from the court spurs a lot of companies to resolve in favour of the claimant rather than face any higher costs and bad publicity.
HTH

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still