cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet privacy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Internet privacy

After the manchester bombing and the DM going at it full pelt as usual, i saw one of their headlines saying the guy was already known and suspected.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but every time a terrorist blows something up, drives over people, blows up a plane etc etc... it always seems to come out that they were known to the authorities.

So what is T May really hoping to gain by spying on us all? - It seems from my POV that they don't bother to stop people they know about.. so what flaming difference will spying on us all make?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro

Re: Internet privacy

Because she's an authoritarian with aspirations of turning the UK into a full on dictatorship...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Do you know how much money, time and effort goes in to watching someone? To covertly watch one individual for 24 hours you need 12 bodies, so if s/he is high risk and are being watched 24/7 then that is a lot of resources tided up in one person. Then you need to consider the target's associates and if any of them need to be watched as well. You get the picture by now.

Spying on us has advantages and may alert the Intelligence Services to a potential plot or to those that need this 24 hour attention, but the public coffers simply aren’t that deep to watch everyone all of the time, never mind the availability of man power.

As has been said before countless times before if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and the drawing of that line is down to the judgement of the Intelligence Services based on the information they have and no one is perfect. If they were then atrocities like Manchester would never occur.

Fixes: 101

"Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about" is a deflective saying at best,

If not, then please publish your bank statements and also let me know when the webcams are set up in your house so I can watch you 24 hours a day. After all you have nothing to hide..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Yes I see what you're getting at, but I wouldn't send anyone my bank statements over the internet, just like you wouldn't, and watching me on camera 24/7 would drive you bonkers.

However for convenience I might discuss my intent to others of the same persuasion and if that intent were malicious then it may well get 'picked up' and acted upon.

The use of the aforementioned phrase is obviously open to misinterpretation, just like you have chosen to do you and those that choose to counter it know full well what is meant by it. But thankfully we have free speech in this country so fill your boots.

Community Veteran

I must admit as much as i support the government cracking down on terrorist threats, this "nothing to hide nothing to worry about" thing is a cheap last resort tactic.

Just because I have nothing to hide does not mean I want people trawling through my communications. They are still private. For some reason though those in power who want more power seem to think that by saying this it excuses their desire to want further control.

As much as I thought I'd never say it, I am considering giving up the internet. I might switch to PAYG mobile broadband that is unregistered as i don't use much bandwidth anyway. Only problem with that is i'd have to give up my email and ebay (etc) accounts.. plus this one.. Yes the traffic would still be spied on but they at least wouldn't know who I am!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The US's tools for hacking other people's computers were themselves obtained by hacking its computers and were used against the world. Even if we were to trust our leaders not to misuse this data themselves (a big if) one could not trust them to keep it safe from criminal elements. Look how well some of the NHS computers were shown to be secured.

DaveyH
Pro

Mook wrote:

As has been said before countless times before if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and the drawing of that line is down to the judgement of the Intelligence Services based on the information they have and no one is perfect. If they were then atrocities like Manchester would never occur.

That's [-Censored-]s and always has been, not to mention dangerous.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2015/responding-to-nothing-to-hide-nothing-to-fear

http://www.amnesty.ca/blog/7-reasons-why-‘i’ve-got-nothing-to-hide’-is-the-wrong-response-to-mass-su...

Minivanman
Hero

Nothing to hide and nothing the fear for the innocent. Funny

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

My final post on this subject. Some interesting articles there but I still stand by it, granted I'd be more than miffed if I was accused of something I didn't do, but that has nothing to do with surveillance, only a corrupt Government, Agency or one of its servants. But in order for me to become a target I'd have to do or say something that raised suspicion and that could be deemed as evidence enough to warrant further investigation. But if you're thinking of saying that I don't need to do or say anything to become a 'target' then anyone of us could be targetted, so what difference would surveillance make if I could be targetted regardless of what I did or didn't do on the Internet.

Minivanman
Hero

But then you might not have to say of do anything, you could be a target just because of your religion, race or membership of the wrong club and crikey, haven't we been there before.

Society is turning suspicious and nasty before our very eyes, only many cannot see it.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@7up

Your knowledge of security on the internet is much greater than mine so am I wrong to think that it's not possible to make it very difficult for the authorities to identify you.

Personally I cannot see them having the time or manpower to pick on the average Joe Bloggs who poses no threat to anyone, what would the point be in doing that ?

Clearly I am referring to the UK only.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

But then you might not have to say of do anything, you could be a target just because of your religion, race or membership of the wrong club and crikey, haven't we been there before.

Society is turning suspicious and nasty before our very eyes, only many cannot see it.

I am not following you on that ?

The authorities can hardly target you because of your race, religion or membership of some club that poses no harm to anyone else ? That would be illegal and certainly not stand up in court. There is also the issue of how information is obtained, if obtained in certain ways it cannot be used in court.

There are times in the past when society was suspicious and nasty, oddly enough at times of war people tend to come together more and help each other.

Community Veteran

On that note if someone was complaining hard to an MP or councillor about their behaviour I wouldn't put it past them, if they could, of digging deeply into the complainants details.

Just in case the complainant was a terrorist?

Minivanman
Hero

@gleneagles

You really think they are not already doing that?

Illegal or not I would be gob smacked if certain places or worship were not being heavily monitored or certain groups were not under surveillance and no, I don't like it one bit but we'd be the first to hang the police out to dry if these guys were known yet nothing was done.

The media along with politicians of course are [-Censored-] footing around it by not naming names, not naming religion and not even naming ISIS even when the cap firmly fits. What are we afraid of, even more terrorist attacks if we state the obvious?