cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access in other countries

Community Veteran

Internet access in other countries

I'm a little out of date as I've not been abroad in the last few years - but when I did i often felt Britain lagged somewhat. For example France had the Minitel system in most homes 20+ years ago at the same time the equivalent BT Prestel / Microtel syetm is Britain was a minority service.
e.g.
In metropolitan France, intense competition between Internet service providers has led to the introduction of moderately-priced high speed ADSL up to 28 Mbit/s (ATM) for 29,90€ per month. They often include other services such as unlimited free VoIP telephone communications to land lines, and digital television. Dial-up internet access is considered as outdated.
For example Wiki says
In metropolitan France, intense competition between Internet service providers has led to the introduction of moderately-priced high speed ADSL up to 28 Mbit/s (ATM) for 29,90€ per month. They often include other services such as unlimited free VoIP telephone communications to land lines, and digital television. Dial-up internet access is considered as outdated.
For many years now, quotas have been seen as outdated and consequently, all the broadband internet offers in France are now unmetered.
In 2006, ISP announced deployment of fibre-optic offers (such as Erenis FTTB in Paris). Iliad is expected to launch a FTTH service on early 2009 up to 100 Mbit/s, France Telecom is testing FTTH technology in Paris with a large 2.5 down/1.2 up Gbit/s backbone. This service is available for 70€/month.[1] [2]Neuf Cegetel offers 50 Mbit/s up/down FTTH for 35€/month in Paris and Pau, while Numericable offers 100/5 Mbit/s cable connection in the biggest french cities for 30€/month.

But another   wiki page shows that now France (69.3%) is behind Britain (76.4%) in terms of internet penetration - but this doesn't show the quality / speed of service. 
What are other peoples experience in other countries and how does it compare to UK. ?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Internet access in other countries

I've just got back from Spain where speeds of 2Mb are fairly common although Telefonica is starting to improve on this now that they have competition. Prices are much dearer than the UK also.
When I'm in the US the reverse situation. Typical speeds of 12-24Mb are common for residential use.  Prices are not dissimilar to the UK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

UK is not so bad, only wish there was an incentive to charge by "bandwidth delivered".
Rural France I still have dial up, unlimited use at 150Euro per year
Big Island Hawaii - village 4 miles from exchange (I think) has 12mb, at $9.99 per month, unlimited download.
Village near Heredia (Costa Rica)  where I stayed recently, village was wireless for commumity, with restrictions (bit torrent is barred), paid for by rates, guess about 2mb.
Fiji, major city premisis, business has B/Band at 128kb, at around $50US per month + various taxes, local coffee shop has wifi access, need a code that last for 5 minutes, speed around 64kb.
Shakawe (Botswana) slow dial up, around 28kbps, free but local call rate.
Appartment in Vancouver (I stay in occasionally), everybody has WIFI - unsecured, nobody seems to worry, don't know bandwidth or costs, spoke to one resident of appartment block and asked if I could latch onto his WIFI, his reply surprised me "Sure go ahead thats why its there"

Community Veteran

Last I read was that BT are more interested in getting every last bit out of old/existing technology like ADSL. Rather than taking the bull by the horns and getting a timetable in place for fibre to home for every household.
Obviously huge initial cost involved but in the long term fibre is much less expensive than copper and it will eventually have to happen.
Community Veteran

BT are clearly aiming for a major fibre roll-out one day, hence the fairly extensive trial planned for FTTC and the (albeit much smaller) FTTP trial too. But of course these technologies take a long time to prepare for use so it'll be a while before any major national roll-out is complete.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think my memory is correct, But didnt BT do the research on Fibre Optics at Martlesham
Community Veteran

I would think so Pierre - they had a far thinking director there who predicted all sorts of wonderful technologies - and they used to show these things off at some exhibitions I attended.
http://www.btplc.com/Innovation/index.cfm