cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Security... How Safe Are You Really?

zedingrove
Grafter

Internet Security... How Safe Are You Really?

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the post. The information provided in this post is solely the opinion of the author.
OK hands up who has internet security installed on their computer? I would guess you all do!
In a previous post I was asking about an internet security program called Black Ice (IBM Internet Security Systems had announced the End of Life for BlackICE PC Protection), as was last seen back in 2007.
So what! Who would want a product 5 years old? ISS spent a fortune developing this product long before anyone else. The core of this program (which is referred as the engine, as in all program core's) was subsequently  sold to Norton and so on down the line. But Black Ice was not user friendly, in the early days only System Engineers could use it. Remember Black Ice was in use long before the dawn of the internet, was designed to protect US Gov. encrypted data (the internet before going public was created to move encrypted data through US channels).
Sorry going off topic but was needed.
So you have your Anti-Virus/Internet Security software installed to guard against intrusion and the like, will also more than likely be protecting your other programs and files, so on and so on...
What do all these programs have in common? They require to be updated, either the program/database daily or weekly. Why?
Next time your software is updating open your your task manager (press ctrl,alt,del keys same time) go to network and check packet uploads (information collected).
Updating your library/database of known viruses/Trojans etc. does not equate to for instance Kaspersky appently needed to d/l 170mb to update programs database. Databases use the least amount of file size than anything else, you can fit 100+ viruses on to a floppy disk (this I know as I have one) (for those that don't know a floppy disk can hold 1.44 mb data).
Still not clued into what I am on about? Black Ice is still in use today, though it has evolved into being 99% UN-hackable (nothing is 100% not even Detox can claim that) and can be found here and there... Protecting our shores!
So why am I not using it, I used to before the departure of all my computers 8 years ago, managed to find a copy only to discover the installation file is corrupted!
Happy Surfing Till next Time  Cheesy

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Internet Security... How Safe Are You Really?

Moved to Chit Chat as it is the best place for it
Steve
Pro

Hacker group Anonymous? Heard of them? Heard some of their work? Was black Ice Involved?
zedingrove
Grafter

You read the part - Departure of my computers? Anything to do with computers illegally regardless of how minor bang goes my freedom, so anything to do with hacking or phreaking I stay well clear of, but thanks for the post...... Cool
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: zedingrove
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the post. The information provided in this post is solely the opinion of the author.
OK hands up who has internet security installed on their computer? I would guess you all do!

I don't - unless you count a firewall.  Grin

Fixes: 104

not even a firewall running here on the computer...
Will Moderate For Thanks
zedingrove
Grafter

dvorak what OS are you running? Probably should not say, fact to telling the world you're computer is not protected is some what silly! For a second there I was almost tempted... Cool
alanb
Grafter

I don't really understand what point this thread is trying to make, but ...
Updating your library/database of known viruses/Trojans etc. does not equate to for instance Kaspersky appently needed to d/l 170mb to update programs database. Databases use the least amount of file size than anything else, you can fit 100+ viruses on to a floppy disk (this I know as I have one) (for those that don't know a floppy disk can hold 1.44 mb data).     

Where on earth did you get that idea from?
Databases are rarely the most space-efficient way of storing data. They very often contain quantities of fresh air, which still consumes space on the disc drives. They also tend to contain a lot of extra data in the form of meta-data that exists solely for the database software to manage the read/write operations on the database contents in a timely fashion.
A floppy is not necessarily 1.44 mb either. I've got some 1.2 mb and 360 kb discs at home.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I'm confused too.    Huh
Fixes: 104

dvorak what OS are you running? Probably should not say, fact to telling the world you're computer is not protected is some what silly! For a second there I was almost tempted... Cool

Various and tempted for what?
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

My router has a firewall, my OS is Linux and is secure from the many problems of Windows and poor old apple macs.
Is this what is meant?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Or Linux is just less targeted by malware creators. Java, Adobe Flash, Firefox - plenty of opportunities for security vulnerabilities to apply to all systems.
kmilburn
Grafter

Some of it is a question of targetting,  some of it is a question of design.
Windows will run an executable file on demand, Linux etc require the file to be saved, and have it's permissions changed to make it executable, before it can be run.  This makes it a lot less likely that someone will fall for the exe masquerading as an image trick.
One of the primary Windows problem (which is improving) is the level of access a standard user had to the system.  This exacerbated the amount of damage that a virus etc. could do to the system.  Good Linux/Unix users work with an account which cannot change system files, and only became a super user when necessary.    A lot of Windows programs (as a result of Microsofts choice of defaults) required administrator rights to run.
However, while running malware as a Linux user would not comprose the system,  it can still compromise that users data,  which is probably more important.
As ever,  if you've got data that's important to you,  keeping several backups is usually a good idea
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I actually have all those - Java, Adobe Flash, Firefox.
But since Firefox is not Internet Explorer, it is actually rather secure.  Cheesy
Linux provides a lot of protection against the flakey Adobe Flash and Java doesn't see much client-side use these days (due to its lack of speed).
Name one web site that uses Java that isn't the BT speedchecker site.  Cheesy

Steve
Pro

Quote from: ejs
Or Linux is just less targeted by malware creators. Java, Adobe Flash, Firefox - plenty of opportunities for security vulnerabilities to apply to all systems.

But out of the box windows does not come with any of those Wink