Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Piracy

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Internet Piracy

according to research online "piracy is more popular than ever,"  despite ISP closing down sites Azn

Ps UK is 10th highest  country per visits

http://hexus.net/business/news/internet/116588-piracy-more-popular-ever-suggests-report/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Internet Piracy

How can they be certain that figure is accurate as many who use vpn's could put their location as the UK ? but be based elsewhere.

VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 11

They can't be certain - only wildly inaccurate.

It's only possible (with errors) to count uploads from torrents.

If I wanted to do some serious pirating, I'd use a VPN, TOR, USENET or a download site.

That's why UK is bottom of the table for piracy!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If people weren't so money-hungry, there'd be a lot less internet piracy... Smiley

VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 11

If I had lots of money I could afford a VPN and download absolutely tons of stuff for the price of a good VPN. Grin

Community Veteran

Don't even know what i'd want to download to be honest. Most operating systems and office products can be bought on ebay these days for peanuts.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Music, film, TV shows, adult entertainment, etc...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Yes Music and Films Thumbs Up  personal  use only Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 348

The copyright industry (because that's what it is) wants to eat its cake and have it.
It wants all the benefits of globalisation but isn't willing to adapt to it or new technologies.
The only way to combat it is to have their product released globally at the same time with a reasonably priced service.
Music sharing has fallen a lot due to the likes of spotify.
People would prefer the lesser evil of downloading GoT than lining Murdochs pockets Wink

Can you imagine trying to set up a public library in this day and age? There would be uproar, copyrighted works been lent for free?! Outrageous Wink

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I can remember a few years ago (about 5 or 6) when this all flared up on the news. One of the biggest bands around at the time gave a quote...

"No, we don't mind people downloading our stuff. While ever that's happening, it's keeping us popular so we get more fans at our gigs.."

I wonder if the powers that be took any notice of this...probably not. Why would a band say that then be over-ruled by someone who has nothing to do with them in the first place?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I guess on population alone that research is going to be way off beam, but are we wrong to visit these sites.

I catch some really good movies from a Turkish site, all free of charge and what seems to be a better selection that either Amazon, Sky, or Netflix. Sky is particularly irritating because of their long winded adverts but hey, it's free.  Thumbs Up 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dvorak wrote:
Can you imagine trying to set up a public library in this day and age? There would be uproar, copyrighted works been lent for free?! Outrageous Wink

That is an oversimplification of how public libraries work. While they remain free to borrowers, a payment is made to authors every time a work is borrowed. 

http://www.societyofauthors.org/Where-We-Stand/Public-Lending-Right-(PLR)

Fixes: 348

yes, it was a bit tongue in cheek - but I would quite happily pay 7p for a one time read of a book.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

I guess on population alone that research is going to be way off beam, but are we wrong to visit these sites.

I catch some really good movies from a Turkish site, all free of charge and what seems to be a better selection that either Amazon, Sky, or Netflix. Sky is particularly irritating because of their long winded adverts but hey, it's free.  Thumbs Up 

And we watch a lot of stuff on All4 most of it is not in english but with sub titles which suit us having hearing problems.

Worth a look if there is nothing on the usual channels

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Same here, which is an additional problem with Sky which does not provide subtitles unless it is not in English.

But we digress Smiley

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.