Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Banking

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Internet Banking

You just couldn't make it up.

Had the offer from our bank not to receive any paperwork at all with regards to our accounts and for it all to be online alongside those usual transactions.

Had three identical letters this morning in three separate envelopes each with a three page letter concerning our three accounts. Oh yes, and that would have cost them three lots of postage - and all to confirm what we had already agreed online.

It's good to be green. 🙂

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 80

Re: Internet Banking

It does make you wonder who - or what - makes these crazy decisions. 🤣

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Minivanman   And... were they only printed on one side  ? ? ?

if so... fold each sheet in half... tear ... and then use the blank reverse as scrap pad for notes/ shopping list etc. Smiley

Dan_the_Van
Pro
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman 

I suspect the reasoning behind the letters is for security, letter to the registered address confirming the change. Imagine your outrage if they made your account paperless with out you asking!

Dan.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Dan_the_Van 

Well I'd not be outraged Dan as there would be sweet Fanny Adams I could do about it.

"First they came for the banks..... " 😉

I can appreciate the security but still don't get why they could not send it out under one cover. Not as bad mind you as when on my return from overseas the tax office sent me five or maybe more identical tax returns to fill out and one for each year I'd been away and yep, all in separate envelopes. Fortunately I was able to fill in all of them in exactly the same way with a line through almost every page as being non-applicable.  

I thought computers were meant to lead us into a brave new paperless world. 😂 

Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Bank I use had a section on the first page asking you to tick a box if you wished to continue receiving paper statements…..

I wonder how many missed that bit and suddenly found paper statements had stopped.

Never really looked but I wonder how far back you can go to check your account if you go paperless ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If banks cared about our security, why did they, or at least mine, start putting unnecessary personal details on every statement?

The building society where I have a couple of savings accounts have decided only to send statements within a certain period after money has been withdrawn or transferred from an account.  Those statements are not for the whole period since the last statement, leaving 'holes' in my records.  They used to have a facility whereby you could print a statement covering the period from one specific date to another.  However, following a recent redesign of their online services, I am only able to print off statements for a specific calendar month.  I always choose the monthly interest option wherever possible so if I want a statement showing a year's worth of interest, I have to print twelve pages instead of just one covering the whole year.  Should I forget myself, I might end up with another twelve identical pages about the statements, interest etc.  I did call them and they swore blind that I could choose the period I wanted a statement for until they checked and realised I couldn't.  Their customer service is pretty good and it was a simple matter for them to send me a statement for the period I wanted, especially when you tell them how much you want to be green and save the earth (earth = my printer ink).

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman wrote:

You just couldn't make it up.

Had three identical letters this morning in three separate envelopes each with a three page letter concerning our three accounts. Oh yes, and that would have cost them three lots of postage - and all to confirm what we had already agreed online.

3 accounts 3 letters, sounds about right. As for agreed online somewhere in the T&C small print will be a clause saying that this agreement has to be confirmed in writing.

From a systems view your details, along with the others, would be extracted from a database and sent to print.

There would be no human intervention until the completed envelopes are handed over to the Post Office. If humans were to be involved it would probably cost far more than the monies saved..........

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Nothing agreed 'in writing' in the physical sense, it was all done on line and the letters were purely informative with no returns required.

I sort of get the reasons as well but it just seemed so contradictory that's all. 🙂

Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You should stick with paper. With the number of bank errors over the last few years where people have been left with no access to funds etc, whats to say the bank restores the correct account balance?

On paper you've got a full undenial audit of your account.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

Well yes, but then I could always print out from my online statement?

I do remember that when they used to mail out bank statements I did not always read them but most were saved 'just in case' and months later finished up with stacks of paper I could not throw away but had to either shred or burn before the shelves gave way under their weight. . Now I need do none of those things.

Paper has it's uses, but it can be a pest as we strive to keep and store literally boxes of the stuff... 'just in case'

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

We print to PDF files, no problem with storage - yet.......

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up 

Well yes, but then I could always print out from my online statement?

Indeed you can. Doing that uses your ink, your paper and costs you more. Lets remember inkjet printers (assuming thats what you're using) are quite thirsty on their cartridges. Lasers are better.

However, if you have them delivered, you use the banks ink, the banks paper, the bank pays the postage and the posties job is supported by the postage cost. Lets face it, it's not like the bank can't afford it.

But as the next suggestion says, you could always print to PDF instead. It's still not quite the same as a paper statement from the bank though.

Admittedly I never open them - i don't like the stress.. but i do keep them just in case.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

My last employer had a paperless office policy.

This worked some of the time but I found that when I went to meetings I needed these documents for reference. Consequently to abide by the rules, prior to every meeting I needed to print the documents that I might require then immediately after the meeting put them through the shredder.

There were fewer filing cabinets about so the suits and their consultants who came up with the paperless office concept knew that this policy worked and saved money!

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

The company I work for has gone paperless - If a customer requires a invoice or job sheet on paper they have to especially ask for it.

Added bonus is space & weight saving for the field engineers - no longer have they got loads of heavy paper service manuals in the back of the van, everything is digitally stored on there Toughbook ( about 16 GB worth of various machine manuals & service bulletins in pdf )